2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some winter maintenance on my motors yesterday and my wife says "why not just buy some new motors?" So I am thinking why not give myself a great belated Christmas present. So is there anyone out there who knows where to find a great deal on a pair of Yamaha / Suzuki 150's??? Also, if I do find some new motors, I will have a great deal on some real strong OX66's with only 500 hours.

·
Most Non Funny
1,834 Posts
wow...what a cool wife.......

but only 500 hours and you're looking to repower? isnt 500 hr's about 20-25% of the expected life before overhaul on an outboard?

·
Registered
471 Posts
FUEL ECONOMY... EXTENED RANGE... AND NO MORE OIL BAGS... Need I say more.. 500 hours is a little early for my pocketbook, but I see many advantages to four strokes!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Good call Rob, I wish I can re power also as you know I'm in the same boat, Give Hotrod a pm he found a great deal on some Zukes from Florida.

Good luck, Matt

·
Always Stay Maxxed Out!!
809 Posts
Northshore Marine, Talk to Mark 713-453-6341... He will beat anyones deal and they have the best service.

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Additional weight

two 4 strokes will weigh more than two 2 strokes. You may have to raise them. You may have scupper back flow. Just make sure you deal with someone who knows what they are doing. And I would check other forums to make sure someone else has put 4 strokes on your particular boat.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, 500 hours is barely broke in, but the motors are already 10 years old, and only getting older and losing value fast (like they are worth anything now).

We were actually looking at moving up to a bigger boat but couldn't think of one we liked (within a reasonable price range) so a repower is inevitable anyway and the new fuel economy and no more oil hastle would be great. There would be a big hit in the resale though. We were figuring at least a 20K investment but only gaining about 10K in value.

As far as the weight, with our old 6 cylinder weighing 450 with the 3 gal oil and the 4 cylinder 4 Stroke only weighing 475 the weight shouldn't be an issue.

·
Bobby
289 Posts
re-powered to honda 4strokes 2 years ago and it was a great call. if you ever want to look at hondas tropical marine in marble falls is a great place and will make you a good deal. give them a call...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
What the ****?? Rob. I thought you said I will run these engines until they **** on you. I guess you like the way my 150 4 strokes purr. 780 hrs on em, & no issues yet. Workhorses for sure, & good on gas.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
if your motors are running strong...........run em

do the math , a re-power won't pay for itself for many years........

only advantage is the new warranty

you will be looking at guages ,battery and wire harness , binnacle etc.

allow another $3K for those

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are killin me!

You guys are terrible!!! My wife tells me to go out and get new motors and you guys try to talk me out of it. I suppose that you would try to talk me out of buying a new Freeman 33 as well.

Seriously though, thanks for the imput. I am looking at all options and am by no means disappointed in my current position. Going to the Miami boat show in Feb so maybe I'll find my dream boat there for a song and dance :doowapsta.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
If you wish to throw good money into a re-power wish, have at it. There is not a break even formula in sight for what you might wish to do. At 500 hours, your going to lose money and not have much for trade in or trade up.

·
The Lord Loves a Drinking Man
1,197 Posts
Man, if my wife told me to go buy new motors, I'd be all over it. I guess the thing you have to figure out is are you going to keep that boat until those motors are end of life. To me, if you are going to do that, then it would be worth it. Maybe not the most cost effective, but worth it to you. Fishing as a whole is not cost effective. I bet you'll feel it's well worth it when you have some brand new quiet 4 strokes on there.

·
Humble Wet Liner
597 Posts
I did the math. At 100 hrs a year Id have to run the 4strokers for 10 yrs to "get back" the money I spent on new 4strokers. That being said IF I ran the motors 200 hrs a year that number would be down to 5 years! SO the moral of the story is get new motors and use the boat more. I went form 200 OX66's to Suke 175's. I lost some speed but see cruse numbers around 2 mpg in the ocean on fishing trips. I now go to BV without gas on the topside and I have no anxiety that the motors will not start on the first pull.

Hope that helps

R

·
Goin' South
833 Posts
I did the math. At 100 hrs a year Id have to run the 4strokers for 10 yrs to "get back" the money I spent on new 4strokers. That being said IF I ran the motors 200 hrs a year that number would be down to 5 years! SO the moral of the story is get new motors and use the boat more. I went form 200 OX66's to Suke 175's. I lost some speed but see cruse numbers around 2 mpg in the ocean on fishing trips. I now go to BV without gas on the topside and I have no anxiety that the motors will not start on the first pull.

Hope that helps

R
Holly math!! Y'all need to fish more. 27 please do the math on the props you sold me. I put 950 hours on them this summer. Can't remember what you charged me but we caught a few fish and the boat was happy with them!!!!!!! All boats/motors are a bad investment, if that is how you look at it. What about the insane quality of the experience???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts