2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Repower an old Boat.

My 1975 Cheetah, avatar, is in good shape and serves me well. Its 115 Johnson runs great and has never let me down and has low hours for the age.

However, all the threads about the new engines has got me thinking....

It is rated for 135 HP. The old Johnson was designed for leaded gas and had the spark retarded, OMC bulletin, when unleaded came out. This cut some speed and some range. Also, I'm not sure what affect the alcohol fuels will have on the carb parts.

A new engine would offer better economy, reliability(?), regular gas, more performance

Now that the grand kids are getting old enough and will start wanting to ski, boat ride and maybe fish.

I was rationalizing a new engine. I understand that the new 115's deliver a lot more power to the prop than mine once did.

Before retarding the spark, it would do 42 now does about 38.

Would a new engine on an old bote look too wierd?

Any thoughts on the subject?

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
I don't think it would look weird. A Tohatsu/Nissan direct injected two stroke 90hp would be ideal. They are pretty light for new tech motors, which is what you need on an older hull.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Old boat repower?

I am in the same predicament. I have a 1965 Lonestar aluminum boat that needs another engine. The boat hull will probably outlive us all. I have wonderd if a new 90 horsepower E-tech would be better suited on a shiny "new" boat or should I give the lonestar another 10 years of use.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
A friend that dose my web hosting re did a 1965 Lonestar he put a newer mariner on it and it looks great he polished the hull and it looks very awesome like a new beer can !

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
My boat is a 1984 Lowe Flatbottom, the motor is a '97 Merc. When it dies, I'll put a newer motor on it. If you love the boat, there's nothing wrong with it, and it does what you need it to do, go for the re-power. I'll be using this same boat when I'm 80 if I'm still alive. At 60 horses it goes fast enough to chatter my teeth, but not fast enough to get me in trouble. It also sips the gas. I'll agree with these guys that a 90 horse may be just what you need. - Coach

1 - 5 of 5 Posts