2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're seeing lots of snapper coming in at the boat ramps and wanted to extend a friendly reminder to report your snapper catch using the iSnapper app after every trip. With TPWD monitoring the harvest to try to give anglers as many days offshore as possible, those trips reported using iSnapper are more important than ever. The app is quick and easy to use and is available on iOS and Android devices here. Submitting a trip takes only a few minutes and can easily be done while waiting to trailer the boat.
Already taken a trip but forgot to log it? No problem! You can change the departure/arrival dates so you can even report a trip you've already taken.
And don't forget- even if you talked to a creel agent at the boat ramp, we still need that data entered into iSnapper.
So, take a few minutes to download and submit your previous trips and use iSnapper next time you go offshore.
Stay safe!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
This might have more impact on the Bluewater forum

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know how the information reported on iSnapper (or even reported at the ramp to live TPWD people) gets factored into the overall harvest count? I understand that the TPWD estimates the harvest based on a number of factors, and I'm just wondering how these reports get factored in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Does anyone know how the information reported on iSnapper (or even reported at the ramp to live TPWD people) gets factored into the overall harvest count? I understand that the TPWD estimates the harvest based on a number of factors, and I'm just wondering how these reports get factored in.
Not sure about that but I know TPWD has not announced a closing date because of the new study out from TAMUCC.

·
Play Deep
3,674 Posts
Not sure about that but I know TPWD has not announced a closing date because of the new study out from TAMUCC.

the data used is very similar to the estimation of waste in Houston’s sewer system- not real accurate

·
Play Deep
3,674 Posts
Data on RS ? Why. ? As common as trout or redfish - is there studies , data , quota ( tonage caught ) on them. No . Why - because just like RS there no stress of depleting the resource except the commercial fishing industry who make millions off this public resource. TPWD has zero idea of the “exact” RS population - no one does. Anyone who fishes beyond the jetties has seen the RS grossly get out of reasonable populations. When redfish got “ endangered “ in the 80s , restrictions were put in place. No that the resource is stable - simple daily limits used - no data, quota , . RS have been heavily restricted to the public but allowed to be gathered by tonage by commercial dollars. I caught 2 federal snapper last year, this year 0 so far . Move the season into July august so you can go out and not get your teeth broken

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
if August and September get doable down off Sargent and I get to go snapper fishing,it will be in state water(LOL) , I will not be reporting anything ......Government will never factor in "Reality" in favor of the private sportsmen/women tax payers who earn and spread the wealth to the economy through sport fishing ............. D Law Liberty,Tx

·
Salty Dawg
7,706 Posts
This thread reminds me of the tagging thing they did a couple years ago that ended up getting the season closed early

·
Play Deep
3,674 Posts
Exactly. I made the calls to tpwd about the tags and the end game. It was to determine so called caught fish overall by public. .1.. $250 to end the season …..

·
Registered
44 Posts
This thread reminds me of the tagging thing they did a couple years ago that ended up getting the season closed early

It also reminds me of renewing your hunting license and they ask you how many doves you shot last year. If you low ball does that mean next year's limit will be more because not as many birds were killed? Or does it mean next year's less because populations were down and vice versa?
If the Acadamy clerk asked you how many RS you kept last year when you renewed your fishing license what would you say? Truth, lowball, or highball?

·
Registered
343 Posts

It also reminds me of renewing your hunting license and they ask you how many doves you shot last year. If you low ball does that mean next year's limit will be more because not as many birds were killed? Or does it mean next year's less because populations were down and vice versa?
If the Acadamy clerk asked you how many RS you kept last year when you renewed your fishing license what would you say? Truth, lowball, or highball?
Lose - Lose Scenario.
Why it won’t work unless there’s another optional answer:
“I catch and release”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,387 Posts
Sorry but no, will not report. This will only snowball into REC anglers having to report everything they catch. Could you imagine the ****** off REC anglers if they wanted them to report white perch or catfish they are catching. Use money, time and effort to take management away from NOAA, not micro management of REC anglers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lose - Lose Scenario.
Why it won’t work unless there’s another optional answer:
“I catch and release”

Ever single snapper we caught under 15” last weekend was instantly inhaled by the dolphins that circled us.

I want a 4 per person per day all year, with no minimum size limit for the recreational guys. We don’t have the time, or equipment to even remotely put a dent in the population.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Ever single snapper we caught under 15” last weekend was instantly inhaled by the dolphins that circled us.

I want a 4 per person per day all year, with no minimum size limit for the recreational guys. We don’t have the time, or equipment to even remotely put a dent in the population.

Our weather window for boats under 35' has been calculated at 75 days tops per average year and far less in rainy years like 2021 ....bulk of the fishable days are in AUG,September and into October .........no season needed what so ever.....5 snapper per day can be had with triple the the original estimation of the population now on the table ..............Ole' Buddy G will become a billionaire soon

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
.........no season needed what so ever.....5 snapper per day can be had with triple the the original estimation of the population now on the table ..............
Heck ... I'd settle for 3 per day year round.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts