2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had the boat chartered out by a bunch of cool dudes who brought over 2000 beers and alot of vodka, crown etc... we started off on the auger rig and cought 17 YF and a bunch of blacks. all the blacks were of good size exp the few i cut up for bait. these guys were cool but didnt bring the right gear there was over 30 6 ots rented from the office and the only lures i saw were dimond jigs. at first they didnt know wut was goin on but i showed them how to work it and the BF started hitting the deck. all the yellowfin with an exeption of 1 were cought on poppers. there was 0 spinning rods worth casting on the trip. i saw 2 bait catching ones break, someone throwing a calcuta bass rod, and a few bigger but nothing to brag about. this all goes with the exeption of David Johnson who cought 4 or 5 YF and i dont know how many BF using a trinidad 20 with poppers and butterfly jigs. i missed some of the day fishing because i always stay up all night with the tuna (since i am a veteran now) :) but we hit one rig and cought at least 150 keeper snapper on it all of them were lugged and we filled up at least 5 or 6 to the top not counting the sows that went streight into the ice. a few scamps and lanes on that spot as well. we hit a good AJ rig and cought a bunch of 30 pounders and a bunch broke off stupid 6 ots. but then i was time to take the voyage to the red hawk 207 miles from freeport 150 from louisiana. once we got there it was on the few poppers that were thrown got hook ups right away and some BIG BF hit the deck. maybe a small YF or two it was hott for a few hours and it kinda died. the fish were hangin close to the rig so we pulled back up to it and cought some more. there was only about 15 people fishing and about 6 actually fishing vigorously. i dont know how many poppers were lost with that 30 to 60 pound test. frank few a few with his thunus and cought like 4 YF and a bunch of big blacks that i cut up for bait. the fish were definately there but the propper gear wasnt. about 3 or 4 in the morning there was like maybe 4 people max fishing and i figured it was time for me to try my luck. frank saw some under the boat so he decided to do a little chunkin and hooked up. so i jacked his thunnus and cought some Big BF it was pretty sweet. right before we left David hooked up on a big YF and faught it for over an hour and right when i got to thes surface both split rings broke and there was a hookless popper stareing him in the face we were all bummed and left 45 min late cuz of the one that got away..

there was SOO many broken and bended hooks PLEASE BRING 4X STRONG HOOKS. Better split rings are recomended.

LIST OF GEAR THAT WILL HELP ALOT!!

Spinning reel BIG UN thunus Penn rigged with 80 to 100 lb powerpro
good bottom fishing rig i like 2 speeds and the trinidads

TACKLE
Florocarbon leader bigger test than your reel.
Butterfly Jigs. knife jigs, dimond Jigs
A variety of poppers
strong Circle hooks black preferably (hide from tuna)
and anything you think would better your fishing

WE HAVE
2 oz egg weights, 20oz sinkers, strong swivels, 9/0 and 11/0 circle hooks, and thats all we supply

sry the article is a little messy and prob a little out of order and not as full as you would of hoped but i just got back and i think im gona crash so good luck to you all and ill see you soon

·
Registered
810 Posts
Lee
Thanks for the report
Scott

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the report, I could not ask for anything better!!!!!!!! Too bad you won't be on the next 52hrs trip. I would have personally thank you.

·
Dis Member
349 Posts
Great report. I hope the bite stays on through the summer 52 hour trips. I will be onboard in 2 1/2 weeks. See you then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts