2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the little ‘uns started school today. Wanted to have one last summer beach blow out. I took last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off work and we headed down to the coast.

My wife and kids are great and packing and traveling. In fact we made Galveston in less than five hours â€" and I’m a speed limit type Daddy. Hung out at the hotel pool on Wednesday. Thursday morning we hit the beach around 8:30. San Luis Pass was all ours as there was very few people on the beach. Set up camp and had a great time with the kids. Caught no fish. I’ve never been down to SLP and not caught a fish. I had three rods in the water all day. NADA! Had a great time with the kids!

On Friday we hit the beach again. The kids had a great time with the boogey boards and Christopher and I threw the football around. Check out the picture â€" my son working his million dollar arm with the poles set up in the background. Ya’ got one happy Daddy right here.

Near the end of the day the misses and I were lounging in beach chairs in the water and she kept saying your fishing rod is bouncing. I assured her it was waves and weed. She asked me how I could tell. I calmly said you will know when a fish bites. Sure enough, the big 12 footer hits the ground â€" and I calmly said â€" see now I know I have a fish. After a terrific fight I landed a 38” Red Drum. The length is not nearly as impressive as the girth and weight â€" this was one big honkin’ fish. So big in fact ya’ can tell by the pictures the kids didn’t want to get too close.

On Saturday we hit Surfside. The prettiest lookin’ water I’ve ever seen on the upper coast. Again, the fishin’ was slow until the end of the day. I pulled in a Black Drum. Again, 38 inches but the weight was great.

Since I already have a fridge full of drum I let these oversized puppies go back in the water. I hear once they get big they ain't as tasty. I caught them both on my home made leaders. I know most of you on this board make your own leaders, but this was my first attempt and it worked great.

What a great way to end the summer!

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
No they are not much for eatin. It is illegal to keep a black over 30" anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts