2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We started out at SLP, going to fish a rig that is insight of the bridge. I dont know how far it is, but you could just barley see it. Anyway the water was to rough. We got a mile out and it was very uncomfortable. So being that I had my wife and her sister with me and they wanted to catch a shark I said to heck with it and we loaded up and went to GYB. Went to the jetty because I am familiar with fishing there. We got out 2 or 3 hundred yards from the jetty towards Boliver and started chumming. Had the best shark of the year on and after I passed the rod off to one of the girls it went under the boat and the circle hook came out. From the way it pulled Id say a 4 maybe 4.5 footer. Next ones were all sharpnose only to 3 feet, but they did have fun. I wanted to try the end of the jetty but it was still to rough out in front of it. All the sharks came off cut croaker that I had caught. I cant make the large frozen shad stay on the hook long enough to do any good. 5 minutes of fishing with them and nothing left but the head.
How big are the sharks you guys catch around the end of the jetty?

·
Registered
218 Posts
the only bait that i've used that is still good after being frozen are stingrays, eels and squid. hardheads are still fairly firm after being frozen. i use them as a last resort if i can't catch any baitfish.

if you fish the boat cut on the North Jetty, you'll usually hook up to some 3-5' sharks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There are usually loads of 4-5 ft blacktips out there. We usually get one close to 6ft per trip as well. I like to use mullet caught with a cast net, or fresh shad from the shrimpers. I have posted this before, but my favorite way to catch sharks is to put a live mullet about a foot below a large float. You get to watch the shark circle and nail the mullet. The sharks usually put on quite a show, especially if youleave the bait close to the boat.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts