2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tank is leaking & I'm not sure what to replace with. If I go back with aluminum, I will have to remove the center console & un-deck my 30' boat. I haven't got pricing yet, but I'm sure it will be costly.

My other option I found is an ATL custom marine fuel cell - they are fully collapsible so they can be installed inside the old aluminum tank. They say they use them in Fountian power boats, and many other racing boats & cars.

ATL says I can install thru my floor hatch that butts up to my old tank & cutting out a section of the old tank to slide inside.

www.atlfuelcells.com is there web site.

I would appreciate any help on this...

Scott

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Does the old tank have any baffles in it? What about the fuel gauge sending unit? You'll have to remove anything sharp that protrudes into the tank, sending unit screws etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Whatever you get, make sure it is designed to take the new Ethanol enriched gas. I hear that it eats Fiberglass tanks......

·
Registered
115 Posts
How often do leaking fuel tanks occur? I purchased a new center console boat that developed a leak about a year after purchase. When the floor and tank was removed, it was discovered that a wrench was left under the tank during construction. The company replaced the boat in March of last year. The new boat is now back in the shop with a similar leak. They have not removed the floor yet, but it looks like a leaking tank just like the original boat. Both were poly/composite tanks. Are leaking tanks that common? It is an extremely dangerous situation having gasoline covering the wiring and near the battery leads.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Sounds like the tanks may not be supported properly, if you've had this twice now. I've seen tanks made out of alum, fiberglass and plastic leak. I wouldn't say its common, but it does happen. While the tank is out get the wiring rerouted.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
my tank sits in a coffin type thing, it is 24 years old and aluminum without a problem to date. I am going to have it replaced though because it would be the smart thing to do since it has been sitting up for 18 months now...... Probably go with aluminum again. All of the wireing is up top and out of the way if there is a fuel leak. Any good recomendations on companies to use for new alum fuel tanks that will pump out the old gas and take out the tank?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts