2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to swap the trolling motor mount on my Motor Guide Great White because MG designed it too small and it constantly popped out of its original mount. The new mount does not have the same hole pattern, so now I have a few 1/4" holes in my fore deck. I was thinking about just mixing some bondo and shredded fiberglas and stuffing it in the holes, letting it harden, then sanding flat. Will that work or is there a better way to do this?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
You can polish Marinetex? How about for a hole the size of a coke can? I took a windlass off my boat and I'm needing to fill the holes. I'm thinking that Marinetex and dow rods for plugs would be the best bet?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have used Marinetex to patch a number of small holes similar to those you are describing. It will work very well structural and is easy to work with in general. The one negative I have found is that the patches tend to yellow over time. I believe this is from sunlight exposure. I would recommend using the Marinetex for the structural patch and topping it with some good quality gel coat. I am going to do this from now on...

·
Registered
31 Posts
GET YOU SOME 5200 FROM NAPA AND THAT WILL WORK
I had to swap the trolling motor mount on my Motor Guide Great White because MG designed it too small and it constantly popped out of its original mount. The new mount does not have the same hole pattern, so now I have a few 1/4" holes in my fore deck. I was thinking about just mixing some bondo and shredded fiberglas and stuffing it in the holes, letting it harden, then sanding flat. Will that work or is there a better way to do this?

Many thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts