2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law is from Iowa and owns a large machine sales company there. He is looking at moving down to Houston before long and possibly starting up a company that produces and installs temporary shutters. (Steel or aluminum.) It will be a simple process for getting them up and down and he has already spoken to some engineers about the design. He also already has the machine for making them.

I was trying to get some opinions on what people think about this as a business and the possible success of something like this.

Also, would the best bet be going after home owners, apt complexes, or builders (adding this in as part of the home cost.)

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I own a beach house and luckly did not have to put up the plywood this year. I would go after the home owners or anyone that owns a building on the coast. The permenant type roll down shutters are supposed to be really good but they are expensive. The problem with plywood is securing them to the house. I use screws, but when you take them down you have the little little holes to fill in and paint. I made a bottom piece that fits on the window to set the plywood in so it makes it easier to hang them.

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
i don't have much faith in the roll down mechanism after a few years on the coast, but i could be wrong about this. and like 03 said, they're expensive. i'd like to hear about the simple process of getting them up and down. but not until property taxes and insurances have been paid! ugh...:redface:

on edit: i'd go after all of them. but i think builders would just tack on a percentage and wouldn't care much either way if installed.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I think anyone that lives on the Gulf Coast would be interested in an inexpensive,aluminum shutter...not sure if inexpensive and aluminum are words that go together....I personally would love to buy them for my house...my son's and my daughters...tell him to advertise...

·
Registered
78 Posts
check the insurance regs. in FL they are required. if they aren't up when storm hits no insurance. I hated putting them up and down all summer! With predrilled set bolts, it usually took me (by myself) approx 2 hours to put them up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have someone drawing up the plans tomorrow using a computer program so you guys can see how they will work.

But in a nutshell :

1. The holes in the home will have threads and will be galvanized. You can keep the bolts in the hole to make sure they are sealed.

2. The top will have an anchor strip that will be bolted in. On this strip there will be extensions to slide the shutter on. the hole in the shutter will have a skinny slender opening coming from the top if the hole. This is so you can put the extensions in the hole and they will snugly fit in the slender slide down slot.

3. There will be nuts to attach to the extension to secure it down on top.

4. on the bottom there will be pre drilled holes in the shutter and the home and this will be held down with a wing nut. Like the top the bottom hole in the house will be galvanized and a bolt can be kept in to secure the seal.

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
I have been here 10 years on Bolivar and never have boarded up** Went through Ike and Rita without a broken window**

·
Registered
510 Posts
believe me, in a few years, if you use cadium plated instead of galvanized, it will be totaly useless here on the coast(waterfront) I am in the process of replacing with all stailess stell hardware. best of luck. .Cc

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's what I went with

http://www.storm-stoppers.com/

Great product. I've only had a coastal home for a year, but as Ike was bearing down, and after going through the plywood thing, I thought never again. What a PITA.

Cost no object, I'd go with the automatic roll down shutters, but for a single story modest home, the stormstoppers are the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Storm Shutters

I live in Florida and like one poster says; no shutters-no insurance.

I bought these cute little clips that go onto plywood panels.

They are made there in Texas. Do a Google on plylox. Take a look at them. They work for me. C2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts