2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not exactly reloading, but this is the best place for it...

I'm getting some good groups out of my remington LTR, but it seems whenever I settle down to shoot something to see what I can do, I get a flier...constantly...

anyone else have this happen? very annoying when I am close to shooting near 1/4 MOA groups, then ruining it with a single flier. typically, the flier goes left. I would think if I were pulling the shot, it would go low to the right.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the calipers are just there for reference..

the top group with the 4 shots would have gone .27" the bottom group would have been about .45" without the fliers.

There wasn't much wind that day.. less than 5 MPH, and it was a headwind.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which shot is the flyer?? First, last, etc?? Did another gun go off just as yours was?HOw long did you wait between shots? What gun are you shooting- bull barrel or what? Lots of things there.

THE JAMMER
flier is different.. sometimes the 4th... sometimes the second.

I'm shooting one round every 30 seconds or so for a group. the barrel isn't all that hot at the end of a round.

remington LTR is a 20" .308 heavy barrel... 2.5 lb trigger

at longer ranges, there seems to be more of a horizontal spacing rather than vertical... maybe it's wind, or bedding. I guess I need to bed the rifle and see how that goes.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
easy enough to rule out the hot barrel , try one every 2 mins

are you useing any breathing techniques ?

are you doing alot of shifting around between shots

try loading rounds, one in chamber at a time rather than clip feeding to rule out dinging bullet point

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
A couple of other basics:

1. are you resting your barrel or the stock on the forward rest? Should be the stock
2. are you resting the rear of the stock on sandbags or something solid, or are you "holding them in the air in your hands/arms?"

I'm sure you're not doing either of these, but I mention them for others benefits as well.

Also I don't think we ever heard what type/weight bullet you were shooting. If it's Barnes, I can't tell you how many times I have experienced 4 greats/ 1 not so great groups. It seems to happen with Barnes more than any other bullet, at least for me.

I have been working on a premium bullet load for my Colt AR for years. It'll shoot 55 gr bt's into .48, but I've no luck with a good premium "deer bullet." Tried partitions and all kinds of Barnes. Finally the other day I shot some of the new 55 gr x's and guess what: 4 into .45 and one flyer out about an inch. I think that "flyer" might have been the "someone else shot just before I shot" syndrome, but I won't know until I go back and try that load again.

THE "BEST OF LUCK TO YA" JAMMER

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm shooting 168 grain A-Max... they have been really consistant except for these fliers...I guess it could be differences in bullets... but they seem like they're about the best shooting out of everything else I've tried.

it might be a breathing issue, I rest the stock the same way when I'm shooting for groups. I have enough sandbags stacked up to seal a friggen breached dam.

I usually shoot off a bi pod, and the groups are not this good... but that's how I shoot in the field, so that's how I do 70% of my shooting. I was just testing these rounds to see how they would do. I think I have some fliers shooting off the bipod, but that's more acceptable to me, and it's not as obvious because the groups are around 1 MOA and not stacked together like when I'm shooting off the sandbags.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If it hasn't been bedded then that's the next step. Might touch up the muzzle crown and if the trigger hasn't been tuned thats a big step in improving groups.

Looks like operator to me on the smaller group and wind or mirage on the larger. Many many times I can't shoot like that, then other times everything comes together and I get one hole groups.

Those groups are good and to get much better will take a lot of work and expense. A better rest always helps, wind flags, spirit level on the scope, better trigger, and especially tuned hand loads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts