2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to reload for a long time and finally started to aquire some equipment. So far I've got a reloading manual and have been reading it, I've got a press and some dies. I am still aways from making my first round and need several other pieces of equipment. Do any of yall have any suggestions on where to purchase some things like scales, powder measures, etc. and what kinds are better than others? I didn't know if any of the reloading supply places are better than others, actually I don't know of many. Thanks for any help.

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
Chris.....you'll find most of the brand name stuff is fine for most purposes. I primarily have RCBS equipment and have branched into other areas. Starting off as you are though, you can't go wrong with RCBS. You'll need scales, beam type or electronic, case trimmer, powder measure and a primer cleaner. Work on getting other manuals too or go online for more info. Never hurts to have too much info. What are you going to reload...shotgun shells, rifle or pistol?

I've been reloading since 1983 and sometimes I dont spend as much time as I like but its always fun sitting down and cranking out a few loads.

Also ask alot of questions just like you did. The best way to get info is from others mistakes...LOL

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I only plan on reloading for rifles, .223, .257 Roberts, .243 and .270.

So far I have all RCBS stuff.

Thanks for the info.

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
You'll for sure want a case trimmer, powder measure and a lube pad or spray. Those are some really good calibers and are fairly easy to reload. The 223 is sometimes as cheap to buy as it is to reload, but depends one what you want out of it. You might think about a primer tool to seat your primers if you want really good accuracy. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Tools

Go with the RCBS hand priming tool. It's a great tool. Gives you a great feel for the seating pressure and depth. Also, I'd recommend a balance scale over the electronic one. The electronic scales can be a pain sometimes b/c they are very sensitive to air currents. Buy bullets in bulk once you find what you want. Also, get your powder locally. You have to pay extra fees to ship it (hazard fees). Marburgers, Tee's (TX City), Bass Pro, and Carter's Country all have powder.

If you're reloading pistol, always use carbide dies. If you're reloading rifle, get the neck-sizing dies, not full-length. Neck sizing will prove to be more accurate, and it puts less wear on your brass.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
nasakid said:
If you're reloading rifle, get the neck-sizing dies, not full-length. Neck sizing will prove to be more accurate, and it puts less wear on your brass.
Neck sizing is also a good way to have a stuck case that won't go all the way in or come back out. Over the years I saw a lot of that with necksizing reloaders. Best way to prevent it is to FL resize after every third time the cases are reloaded.
A case measuring device is a must. Too long of a cartridge case can blow a rifle. Chris, you'll probably have more trouble with the Roberts growing cases, than the other calibers you named.
Set your powder measure a little light, then use a powder trickler to bring it up to weight on a balance scale and you can make good ammo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts