2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you voted in the primaries early this year. Are you already registered to vote in the elections in November or do you have to register again??? I know this is a basic question, but I don't want to miss the deadline if I have to register again... Thanks.

·
Aggie Mom
5,386 Posts
You are still registered. Just go to your precinct and vote.
BTW, I always misplace my voter's registration card and I proudly give them my photo ID (driver's license) and never have a problem.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
One item to remember re: voting EARLY versus voting on election day--

--if you vote EARLY you can do so at ANY EARLY VOTING LOCATION in the county in which you live, i.e. if you work downtown, you can vote at the downtown EARLY VOTING location even if you live in NW Houston.

--however, on ELECTION DAY state law says you can ONLY vote in the precinct where you are REGISTERED!

What causes confusion (and I've worked elections for years) is that people will come into my precinct on election day when they are NOT registered in this precinct and are livid that they can't vote here. Their reasoning is "my (son,daughter,wife,girlfriend,mom, dad,etc) voted here last week and they live next to/with me so why can't I vote?"

The answer is: last week this precinct was an EARLY VOTING place and anyone in the county could vote here. TODAY is election day and ONLY registered voters in THIS PRECINCT can vote here.
And, to answer your specific question (which Annette answered correctly) you do NOT have to register for the general election if you already voted in the primary. State law says that once you register and if you keep voting your registeration keeps being "renewed" or kept current. Should you stop voting for several elections, then you would be removed from the voter rolls and would have to re-register. (depends on length of passage of time which I won't go into here and the fact that you did NOT move out of the precinct that you originally registered in). If you do move from one precinct to another, you need to have your registeration moved to your new precinct (contact the voter registeration office to do this--they will send you a new registeration certificate with your new precinct on it. If you have moved and you FAILED to move your registeration to your new precinct, you will have to go BACK to the precinct your are registered in to vote on election day.

Clear as mud? Just be sure to vote!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts