2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was sent to me by a close friend who's Grandfather had a beach house on Crystal Beach all during the years he was growing up. It really made me think about all the different ways this storm has changed lives. I have withheld his full name for privacy reasons, but, I thought some others on here might appreciate it.

To All-

It has been years since I've driven Hwy. 87 from Bolivar to High Island.

I had no reason to think that sometime in the not-too-distant future I'd make the drive again. And, like all the times before, I couldn't travel a 1/4 mile without reliving years of memories that still bring smiles to my face and joy to my heart; a friend's beach house, a watermelon patch, a slip off the ICW that was a favorite crabbing hole, a quart of fresh oysters for $3.50, a funky house sitting on cisterns, the A-Frame, Sweedes, Milts, the Gas Light, Uncle John's, Pat's, Ed's and Aunt Virginia's, and of course Pop's "C'est la Vie" - my home-away-from home. The list of places, friends and activities that comprise our memories on Bolivar is at least a bonfire long - for each of us. And each cocktail would just open another volume of stories that we all have in common, but share at different times in our lives. Those landmarks, visual cues that bring up a moment from our happiest days, are gone. We will talk about them only in past tense from now on, but the memories, our great memories, they will live with us.

I'm sure that many more images of the destruction caused by Ike will be on the Internet soon, but the ones I've seen leave me in shock. I will miss this place.

C'est la Vie,

Lee

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My parents rented beach houses down there at least twice a year when I was a kid. I learned how to fish from the beach, throw a cast net, tend to a jellyfish sting, untangle a rats nest on a bait caster, fish from a kayak, etc. ect.....down there. I take my wife and kids there and rent a beach house at least twice a year now. I am realy gonna miss that beach as a lot of people will. Lot of good memories.....

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Thanks pale,, if that won't put a lump in your throat , nothing will

as i read that , all i could think of is my local piece of the texas coast,, it may not be much,, but i consider it heaven, and couldnt imagine how different life would be if it was all gone..

well written and may God bless them from here on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts