2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get a few opinions from some of you if you can spare a moment.

I'm looking to retire (or sell) a couple of my older Abu Garcia round reels, which in turn will free up a couple rods that will need...well...new reels!! :dance:

Now being that I have the latest Curado and Citica E models as well as a Citica D model, i'm looking to get something a little lower in the price range, but also a decent quality reel.

One doesn't have to be bargain basement, but i'd like to keep it at a C-note or under. The other one I want to get as good a reel as I can find for a very reasonable amount...like $75 or under.

I'm looking at either a Cruxis or any of the other lower priced Shimano's for one, but my "beater" reel (the cheaper one), I want to try a different brand.

Of the Shimano's for $100 or lower, which do ya'll recommend?

...and for a cheaper 'truck' reel?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Birdnest,
If you wanted to try another round baitcaster, try the Shimano Cardiff. Pretty nice reel for about $100. If you want a good low profile baitcaster in that range you may want to look at Garcia's Revo S. I had a Cardiff 100A for a little while but I wanted to buy a low profile reel so I traded it away. It was a good reel though. I may buy another one or I may step up and get a Calcutta. I still kind of like the round reels. Probably because that's what I've fished with most of my life. The low profile I bought was a Revo SX. I have fished it in the salt for a little over a year and I think it is a great reel. I also just purchased one on the $39.00 Citica 200D reels from Academy and now I'm looking for a new rod. There are just too many good choices.
Happy hunting.
rw

·
Me want redfish...
1,094 Posts
if ya loved your abu.. you should really consider checking out the revo made by abu.

Revo STX and Inshore are really nice!! But I must admit they are outta your range for price

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess the reason i'm looking to step down in the price range, is i'm looking for more of a starter reel in the baitcaster line for younger people in my family to learn on. Also, I have a buddy who enjoys fishing, but his financial situation kinda keeps him away from buying the newest, latest and greatest. I don't mind loaning him one of my rigs, but if he were to lose or screw up one of my better setups...well...I hope some of you can understand? :rolleyes:

I thought about teaching the kids how to use one of my Abu's but they don't have any kind of braking system and I don't really want to spend the whole day clearing out a "Birdnest." ;)

So technically, i'm paying for them and of course they'll be my property...but I want them for others to use.

I like the new Abu Revo series, but if I were to buy one of those (and i'm sure I will one day soon), it would be for my use.

I'm looking more along the lines of either a lower priced Diawa or maybe one of the Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shops house brands. Even one of the lower tier Shimano's might be good...I just don't know which one to get.

Although i'm looking to spend minimal money, I don't want a total POS either. I hope a little more detail in my way of thinkin helped some.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

·
Banned
688 Posts
I think the saros is about 100, it got pretty good ratings at basspro.com. I think the new citica is 120 it is a really good reel. Saraha is a good reel for about 60. :walkingsm

·
Registered
276 Posts
Try the H2O's from Academy. About 50 bucks and no complaints. Not as smooth as my Core but it can sling a Popping Cork with the best of them. It has held up nice on a couple of 26" reds.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Check the craiglist. Most people who bought the citica's when they were on special are trying to unload them now. Its a win win situation for both parties.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I went out looking today and found a Daiwa Megaforce 100TSH for $59.

7.1:1 , 5BB - 2RB, free floating spool, and it has some kind of lever on it called a "twitchin bar."

Looks like a pretty decent reel...for the money spent.

I'll take it out to the Bass pond tomorrow and see how it casts.

1 down...1 to go.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As mentioned yesterday...I took the Diawa out to the bass pond today for a tryout. The reel cast beautifully.

I caught several dinks and the reel winched them in without fail until...

...I hooked into what must've been at least a 5-6 # hawg. Thats when I noticed the drag was almost non-existant. I had to crank up the drag **** near all the way up, just to keep this fish from stripping more line off the spool. About that time she came to surface, danced across the water and...SPIT!!! There went the hook. :hairout:

Needless to say, I was a tad bit perturbed.

I finished up for the day, grabbed my reciept and off to GM I went.

I no longer have the Diawa.

I chalked this up as a lesson learned. If i'm gonna buy a less expensive reel, it'll be the product of extensive research and many read reviews.

I went ahead and put forth a bit more cash and I'm now the proud owner of a brand new Abu Garcia REVO SX-HS.

Lets see how this one pans out. :cool:

·
Formerly ynggun
1,205 Posts
Birdnest Billy said:
As mentioned yesterday...I took the Diawa out to the bass pond today for a tryout. The reel cast beautifully.

...I hooked into what must've been at least a 5-6 # hawg. Thats when I noticed the drag was almost non-existant. I had to crank up the drag **** near all the way up, just to keep this fish from stripping more line off the spool. About that time she came to surface, danced across the water and...SPIT!!! There went the hook. :hairout:

I chalked this up as a lesson learned. If i'm gonna buy a less expensive reel, it'll be the product of extensive research and many read reviews.

I went ahead and put forth a bit more cash and I'm now the proud owner of a brand new Abu Garcia REVO SX-HS.

If it's anything like my revo, you will be pleased.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Birdnest Billy said:

That is a shock to me. I just bought the same reel (a lot cheaper on ebay though) and just had a full day on the water with it yesterday and besides catching trout up to 6 pounds on it I also caught a black drum with it that weighed in the 35 lb neighborhood and only took about 5 mins to bring it to the boat. I have it loaded with 30# Power Pro braid set on a 7' All Star rod. The drag worked absolutely flawlessly and handled all the pressure I put on it without a hitch. It casts a mile with the Power Pro braid and is as smooth as any reel I have ever owned and I have 2 high dollar Shimano's sitting on rods in my rod rack. As a matter of fact I am buying a second one. The reel comes NIB with the drag adjusted extremely loose so if you didn't adjust it before using it then that would explain the lack of drag with your reel or you may have just gotten a bad one. Mine performed like a high end $$$ reel instead of a lower end priced reel that it is and the drag worked very smoothly on a 35lb fish.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SJAdventures said:
....The reel comes NIB with the drag adjusted extremely loose so if you didn't adjust it before using it then that would explain the lack of drag with your reel or you may have just gotten a bad one. Mine performed like a high end $$$ reel instead of a lower end priced reel that it is and the drag worked very smoothly on a 35lb fish.
The drag issue on that reel wasn't noticable as long as I was catching dinks. However as soon as hooked into a large fish, I had to crank it almost completely to max in order to get the fish to the bank. We're not talking a 35 lb'er either. It was a largemouth bass that I estimated to weigh a good 5-6 lbs. My intention was to use the reel for saltwater. If I had hooked a good oversized redfish that pulled like a Cummins...i'd a been screwed.

IMHO, that reel was defective.

I know Diawa makes a good product. I have an old Diawa Blackwidow 2 that I bought from Wallyworld for 20 bucks back around 20 yrs ago...and it's a great little reel.

Anyhoo...it's all under the bridge now.

·
GOD BLESS AMERICA
1,441 Posts
That black revo is great but a real pain in the *** to keep clean and keep from rusting , if you are patient enough to maintain like crazy you will love it , the citicas are the best for the money , 2 years of hard saltwater abuse and still as smooth as day 1 .

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The new round Ambassadeur® C4 Series do have the internal 6 pin brake system. I bought one for a backup about 2mo ago, and ended up using it when my citica backlashed. The only bad thing about it is that you have to open it up to set the brakes. Other than that it performed flawlessly. I use it and my citica now on trips.

·
Banned
688 Posts
Before you say this is a pice of ****. This was the first baitcaster i ever bought right when i got into fishing like 5 years ago. I gave it to my brother and he still uses it, in saltwater. they were 39 at Academy. Use it as a beater workhorse, thats what he does. its still like new. Great drag pressure, smooth retrieve, mag brake.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/con...s/reels/low_profile_baitcasting/Callisto.html

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Captain Kyle said:
Before you say this is a pice of ****. This was the first baitcaster i ever bought right when i got into fishing like 5 years ago. I gave it to my brother and he still uses it, in saltwater. they were 39 at Academy. Use it as a beater workhorse, thats what he does. its still like new. Great drag pressure, smooth retrieve, mag brake.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/con...s/reels/low_profile_baitcasting/Callisto.html
I have already looked at the Callisto, and I haven't ruled it out as a possibility as far as my "beater" reel.

Shimano quality at a VERY...reasonable price.

Another one I have been looking at here recently is the Abu Garcia Blackmax. Anybody have any Pro's/Con's on this one?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts