2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have a Daiwa TDA153HST reel that will not stay on my Castaway XP3. Excuse me for not knowing the terms, but that part of the reel that fits into the reel seat is either too short or too wide. Ie, it acts like its nice and tight in there, but when I set the hook, the reel pops up. I've tried the reel on other rods, it works fine, and my Curado SF works fine in this rod, but I bought it just for the Daiwa.

So I thinking I'd buy some of the old style Shimano neoprene rod wraps and anchor the sucker in, but now I can't find any of them. So before I just use zip tires per trip, I wanted to see if you guys have any ideas?

Thanks

Brad

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
duct tape.........jk I could not resist My guess is if you want that reel to seat proper you will have to modify the seat or the stand

·
Here fishy, fishy.......
170 Posts
I would love to hear this answer. I was just about to post the same question about my fiance's reel (Zebco Omega). It is just too thick to stay in the reel seat.

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
you can use a grinder to resize the seat or the stand...there maybe other ways but this will work

·
Registered
384 Posts
Rod/Reel

Shimano will give you a plastic spacer that fits on top of the reel seat to fix the problem. It is a problem that all mfg's have. You just need to put something under the reel foot, small piece of cardboard, etc.. The problem I had was with a shimano reel and I contacted them and they admited it was a problem and sent me some of the plastic spacers to fix the problem. Worst case you take the rod back to where you bought it and exchange it. I would take the reel with you and make sure it fits if you get a new one.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at the reel and that part (is the stand the part on the reel?) and it doesn't come off, but I was thinking about the grinder option too. I'm sure changing out the reel seat is possible, but a big mess.

I haven't ruled out electrical tape option.

·
Banned
607 Posts
I bet you are just putting the reel on wrong, its not rocket science to figure out. Just take it in to your local Wal Mart and I bet one of their sporting goods guys can figure it out,,,wow,,,you duck hunters do everything wrong!:rotfl:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
If the reel foot (stand) is too short or sits too low you can wrap the reel foot with tape to take up the extra space. I'm kinda confused on what the problem actually is but wrapping it will work for the problem mentioned above.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MattK said:
If the reel foot (stand) is too short or sits too low you can wrap the reel foot with tape to take up the extra space. I'm kinda confused on what the problem actually is but wrapping it will work for the problem mentioned above.
So like I said above. The reel seems to fit in nice and tight, but when you pull on the line (aka, setting the hook) the reel pops right out. Other reels work in the rod, and the reel works in other rod, but these two just don't mesh up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts