2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the winter some of you were building calcutta cain surf rods. I still have that on my too-do list. I had planned to use a modern reel seat instead of going retro. I was hoping that I could just use a large fuji seat. Does anyone know if when a calcutta is cut down to the apropriate size for surf whether or not a large fuji seat will reach the diameter needed. If there are better alternatives available I would like to know. Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the subject of calcuttas was dicussed in depth several times on the Surfmasters site. Fuji has a plate seat that is wraped onto the rod. Another altenative is to try and wrap the handle as even as possible and use coasters which are just basically adjustable hose clamps. They're popular with the tournement casters and allow you to adjust the position that best suits you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Garfish, I will check the Surf Masters site. Are the coasters you mentioned something commercially available or are they rigged by the user?

·
bait chunker n fish yanker
71 Posts
Garfisher is right... the calcuttas have been discussed on the Surf-Masters Forum. I saw Xak's calcuttas this past weekend and he did a beautiful job with them.. and claims they are amateur.. He uses the Fuji plate reel seats on his. I was really impressed with his handy work and will be starting mine soon.. We are looking to have a Calcutta rod fishing tournament in the future..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Coaters are available from some dealers that specilize in tourney casting, Breakaway would be your best bet since I inquired on their site about them once. If Big Lou spots this thread I'm sure he would have all the info needed.
Whopper when you have the calcutta tourney will vintage rods be eligable? I can't find any calcutta anywhere and just may have to get a oldie off of ebay and restore it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The bait shop in Winnie carries Calcutta some of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts