2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With four tournament series running events in Texas during 2010 I am just curious to hear everyone's thoughts on plans for next year?

After sitting out all of 2009 and having major withdrawals I am looking forward to fishing several events again next year myself. Based on past experience I plan on dropping the IFA events and then will fish as many of the others as I can.

Look forward to seeing you on the water soon!

·
Lady-N2-Fishing )< :>
276 Posts
Good question BR. I'll probably maybe just do only a few this year, couple of TRS, IFA....Galveston Redfish? With son going to college and home remodeling projects i'll need to limit my participation.....:(

·
Texas Lady Angler
2,410 Posts
Same as girlsfishtoo! (especially since she's my partner -- LOL). Just curious as to why you are opting out of the IFA tournys? I'm starting to really enjoy the smaller, local tournaments -- less money & stress. Will probably try to stay more local since there are a lot more tournaments to choose from next year.

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Redfish Tournaments

I will be a potlicker next year, no more full series for me. Looks like I will be doing maybe three of the Xtreme on the upper coast, nothing South of Matagorda.

As I mention in another post awhile back, I think only a couple of these series will be around in 2011. Your looking at 21 major Redfish tournaments in Texas next year and there are not enough anglers to support it all. Something has to give and people will do like I will be doing and fish one or two here and there, whatever is close to home.

I'm sure there will be a few teams that have plenty of time and money that will try and do them all but for the most part people are going to be forced to choose. Increasing the number of tournaments and even going out of state is heading down the path that eventually put an end to the FLW and the CUP.

Finding dates is an issue that these tournaments will have to contend with
as well and there will be several months with multiple tournaments. As it stands right now, May will have four tournaments and July and August will have three each. And not included in this list of 21 tournaments is the Redfish Tour (3), who has yet to released the 2010 schedule nor does it include the Trout Series (1) and the Galveston based Spectacular Redfish Series (min of 3). So you are looking at a minimum of 28 tournaments, 26 in Texas and 2 in Louisiana.

Even though the entry fee for the HT Cup will be substantially higher than the others, I think they will pickup some of the Redfish Cup crowd and they might be able to pick up a few more but they have three of the four Texas tournaments scheduled the same weekend as the Redfish Series, not to mention the cluster planned for Rockport in July. It seems the HT Cup has a tournament there the same weekend as the Rockport Offshore Challenge. It should be real interesting with sixty flats boats trying to come in that little channel with fifty, 60ft Sportfisherman at the same time on Saturday, might want to get a cooler of beer and a lawn chair for that one. LOL

Seems everyone wants a piece of the pie, but the pie will only feed so many. I have my doubts, but I hope it all works out! Good luck in whatever you participate in and I'll see some of ya up here in the deep dirty water next year!

Gater

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
What Gator said.

I finally don't have to travel 4-5 hours to fish tournaments. We should have around 8 that we can fish with in an hour of our house. Call me a jack potter if you must, but there are only so many weekends in a year. This is the year for the upper coast fisherman to relax and have fun with out having to fish the Coastalbend Classics. I doubt it will be like this for long. But who knows.

Most of our sponsors have committed and our schedule is pretty much set.

·
Vendor
1,082 Posts
We are looking at dropping the IFA, full Redfish Series, full HT3 Cup, and some XRT.

The reason for not a full XRT is that you are forced to fish for 1st place everytime. 2nd place pays the same as 10th. Its an all or nothing payout. So, it's not worth it to travel all over the state. Don't get me wrong, we are all always looking to win, but the reality is that there are a ton of good teams out there and winning just doesn't always work out. Just like this past weekend. A 16 lb. stringer would have won any day of the week for a month. Yet we get 4th with nearly 16 lbs and 2 stringers over 17 lbs each. So, there are some great teams that always find a way to get fish. The other events have better payouts or should I say better payouts for people like me who don't win much, but are in the hunt most of the time.

So, let's count them:

Redfish Series: 7 + championship = 8
HT3 Cup: 4 + championship = 5
XRT: 8 + championship = 9
IFA: 3 + championship = 4

That's 26 total. Redfish Series, HT Cup and half the XRT = 18 events. I think that's enough.

·
Texas Lady Angler
2,410 Posts
Wow, I never counted the number of tournaments! It would be fun to do them all. I can only imagine the amount of knowledge you could walk away with at the end of the season.

Is the IFA 2010 schedule out yet?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gater - there is more than one harbor in Rockport. Maybe HTCUP is using Cove Harbor?

Jimmie - cant do complete series of HTCUP and redfish Series - conflicting dates on a couple of them but not in same areas at the same time thankfully!

Xtreme payouts - Jen had posted a payout schedule for when she starts drawing more than 50 boats the payouts change fro 2nd - 10th and eventually pays down to 20 places similar to otehr series. it is not on the website anymore so she may be tweaking it some?

Not exactly sure what I am going to try and do yet but like others have said I will probably fish as many as I can in the Port A area since that is where my condo is.

The HTCUP looks really interesting to me because with limited time only needing to fish 4 events is appealing especially along with the 2 day events! I really like two day tournaments!

Going to be an interesting year that is for sure!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Good question BR. I'll probably maybe just do only a few this year, couple of TRS, IFA....Galveston Redfish? With son going to college and home remodeling projects i'll need to limit my participation.....:(
Hey you forgot to mention of possibly doing the coangler womens bassmaster tour. :doowapsta:doowapsta

·
Registered
883 Posts
We are looking at dropping the IFA, full Redfish Series, full HT3 Cup, and some XRT.

The reason for not a full XRT is that you are forced to fish for 1st place everytime. 2nd place pays the same as 10th. Its an all or nothing payout. So, it's not worth it to travel all over the state. Don't get me wrong, we are all always looking to win, but the reality is that there are a ton of good teams out there and winning just doesn't always work out. Just like this past weekend. A 16 lb. stringer would have won any day of the week for a month. Yet we get 4th with nearly 16 lbs and 2 stringers over 17 lbs each. So, there are some great teams that always find a way to get fish. The other events have better payouts or should I say better payouts for people like me who don't win much, but are in the hunt most of the time.

So, let's count them:

That's 26 total. Redfish Series, HT Cup and half the XRT = 18 events. I think that's enough.
Jimmie,

My goal is to get 2nd-20th paying out more as soon as I can. As the Xtreme Tournament Trail (being a new series in the fall/winter) obtains additional sponsorships and increases the size of the field, the payouts will be modified accordingly. My goal is to be the best paying series in Texas.

Aside from that, the Xtreme Tournament's 2010 TEAM OF THE YEAR will win $10,000 CASH and a Shallow Sport Boat thanks to Coastline Marine, Shallow Sport Boats and McClain Trailers.

I am totally committed to constantly providing anglers with the tournament that they want at an affordable entry fee. So, please feel free to email me anytime with suggestions as to how we can improve. My email address is [email protected] and our website is www.xtremetournament.com.

Thank you to all of the anglers that participated in the Corpus Christi tournament. The weights were big, and the field was impressive....a very talented group of anglers. I appreciate all of you that fished with us and thank all of the Xtreme Tournament sponsors for their continued support.

Our next tournament is in Port O'Connor, TX on December 12th. I welcome you to come try out the Xtreme Tournament Trail to help you in deciding which events to fish next year as there are a lot to choose from. I hope that you will find the Xtreme Tournament Trail to be one of your options for next season. You do not have to have fished the first two events of 2009 to fish POC so please sign up today at www.xtremetournament.com.

Once again, thank you for your support and good luck to all of the anglers in whichever series that you choose to fish next year! The great thing about having several awesome series to choose from is that you have the opportunity to find one that meets YOUR needs and your schedule! :) Keep tight lines!

·
Registered
4,950 Posts

So, let's count them:

What he said lol. Pretty much what we are looking at except maybe the IFA instead of the HT Cup. If XRT gets enough boats for a good top 10 payout then maybe a few of them in our waters. Jen I wish you luck and hope you prevail but the payout system last weekend had some people scratching their heads to say the least. IMO I think I would have bumped 5th-10th back to cover their entry or maybe even a little less and raised the top 5 up but thats just my opinion. Don't throw me out of the boat on our trip this spring lol.

Mike

·
Registered
883 Posts
What he said lol. Pretty much what we are looking at except maybe the IFA instead of the HT Cup. If XRT gets enough boats for a good top 10 payout then maybe a few of them in our waters. Jen I wish you luck and hope you prevail but the payout system last weekend had some people scratching their heads to say the least. IMO I think I would have bumped 5th-10th back to cover their entry or maybe even a little less and raised the top 5 up but thats just my opinion. Don't throw me out of the boat on our trip this spring lol.

Mike
It's because of angler feedback that I strive to make the series the best that I can. If anglers are in favor of loading the Top 5, that is a simple adjustment. I'm here to give you the tournament that you want. I'll never throw ya off the boat for constructive criticism. I'm open minded for new ideas and better ways to do things. Thanks you for your input. Payout structure is an easy modification! I hope to see you at more Xtreme Tournament events! :)

·
Vendor
1,082 Posts
Jen,

I've got your email address, so thanks for being there. You do a lot of great things with the tournament. Is there room for improvement...... of course. Even I, the unbelievable and awesome Jimmie Dooms (cough cough) has room for improvement! LOL!

In all seriousness, there were many anglers (including myself) scratching our heads at the break down. It is probably my misunderstanding, but I was under the impression that the $1,000 was guaranteed to the 10-20 places, with disbursement to the top 10. I probably should learn to read though. No biggie to be honest with you. If you are going to build a true series that you are looking for 100+ teams to follow, we need to be rewarded for finishing with a near win. I don't think you are going to get anglers to jump up and hit the entire series with traveling expenses and hope to bring home $1,000 for finishing 2nd. Yes, win and its worth it. You know how hard it is to win these things. So, an adjustment there would make it more appealing and drag more boats to your events.

Thanks for putting on a great event this past weekend.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
You guys sure are right, there is gonna be ALOT of redfish tourneys in texas next year. Im not even sure who im gonna partner with next year since Kaylin is gonna be fishing alot of yak tourneys, but will be fishing a few of each series mainly because of my shift working schedule...

Its gonna be an interesting year that is for sure.

·
Registered
883 Posts
FYI, I'm not knocking your tournament either. Just giving you what I and many others are thinking. Shaw and I are planning on fishing your events next year and would love to fish more of them.
Thanks Jimmie! You and Shaw rock! I am definitely going to work on adjusting the payout. I will continue to pay $10,000 to first place but I will work to make the Top 5 more appealing. I want to have the best payout in Texas so I will continue to strive for the prize packages that anglers are looking for.

Thanks to all of the anglers that have participated with the Xtreme Tournament this year! I appreciate your support, feedback and participation. I am looking forward to a great tournament in Port O'Connor next month and an awesome 2010 series. I will see ya on the water!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I enjoy fishing them regardless of money it is fun to compete with fellow anglers I work for my money but dont get me wrong its nice to win a little bit. I mainly care about how well I stacked up than how much money I won. I guess more of a self pride thing. I love fishing and this is a great excuse to fish new areas and learn about them even if it does cost be a shaft and new prop LOL.

·
Registered
581 Posts
XTM

Jen,
I'm analyst by trait that is what I do for a living. I'm sitting back watching to see how your tournament will prevails. I have heard positive and negative things but hec that's America for you place to voice your opinion. I would love to fish your tournament but can only afford one unless sponsors come through. I just want to hear it from the horse's mouth I guess. If a team makes the pay out places 1-5 or top 20 anglers will they get paid? I was about to enter the CC event but when hearing some rumors I held back. When it's all said and done Winning is my goal which is everyone's goal, but it's nice to have a hobby that pays for it's self. Like others mentioned I'm in it for the competition and amity. I like Doom I am only voicing my opinion and wanna know what sets your tournament from the rest. I plan to do the TRS due to exposure for Sponsor request and the LA events. I need to hear from you (your sales pitch), why should I fish your tournament. IFA is fun but at the end of the day I feel they are not as organized as the Cup, TRS or the FLW were. Please do not get upset if I was out of line I apologize upfront. Javier

That I can do!!! I will work on it for POC! Thanks for all of your input!

I hope to see you all in POC.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts