2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have 3 slot reds on the stringer and then catch a 29 (oversized) and decided to tag and keep that fish is it legal, so now I have 4 on my stringer? If so I did not know that. I was browsing TPWD site looking at hunting regs and happened across the statement below.

Thanks

* Red drum special regulation: During a license year, one red drum over the stated maximum length limit may be retained when affixed with a properly completed Red Drum Tag and one red drum over the stated maximum length limit may be retained when affixed with a properly completed Bonus Red Drum Tag. Any fish retained under authority of a Red Drum Tag or a Bonus Red Drum Tag may be retained in addition to the daily bag and possession limit as stated in this section.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,606 Posts
Any fish retained under authority of a Red Drum Tag or a Bonus Red Drum Tag may be retained in addition to the daily bag and possession limit as stated in this section.

Cool beans! Learn something new every day. LOL

·
Registered
199 Posts
So where does the "Bonus" tag come from? Last time I checked I didn't see it on the license along with the regular tag.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes, it is legal to keep the oversized (tagged) red in addition to the three other slot reds. We got into a discussion about it at work a while back and ended up calling Texas Parks and Wildlife to settle the dispute.

The Professor

·
12,606 Posts
the redfish tag on the licence is a bonus tag. it a bonus because its above slot size.

·
The Duck of Death
2,246 Posts
Only thing I can add to this is.
Ya better have that tag ATTACHED to the fish as soon as you can. and deffinatly before the GW starts heading your way.

Dave

·
Registered
199 Posts
waterspout said:
the redfish tag on the licence is a bonus tag. it a bonus because its above slot size.
It appears to talk about two tags. As far as I recall, there is only one on the license. If there is only one on the license, then where does the other come from?
"authority of a Red Drum Tag or a Bonus Red Drum Tag "

·
Jedi Knight and Friend to Captain Solo
17,041 Posts
Bonus Tag

I believe, but could be wrong, that if you take the used tag (punched and filled out) to a license vendor like Acadamy, that you can get another one per year.

·
12,606 Posts
Pat P said:
My questions is:

"Why would you want to keep an old nasty oversized red for eating"
Do you keep 28"s Pat. Use your tag for a 28 1/16" :D . It can't be any different.

Reactions: slopoke

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have kept oversized to about 29 and that is about it. However it has to be a real skinny one. The big ol bruiser fish get to swim again.

·
A.K.A. Jacob's dad
2,449 Posts
Caught a 29" last year, tagged it. Went to Academy and got me the bonus redfish tag, but didn't get to use that one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you get a bonus tag if you have NOT used the tag from the license? Also, does it have to be from the same location you purchased the license from?

·
12,606 Posts
any location plus TP&W office. have to show old one to be sent to TP&W to get bonus.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Never used mine but...

I dont know of too many people that eat them but I have known a few to tag a big one for taking to the Taxidermy. That would be my only reason to do it, but now with replicas as good as they are I doubt Id even do that. One thing is for sure if your gonna clean three slots and a oversized. You'd better have a knife sharpener. lol

Not to hijack but I sure would like to see that slot drop to something like 16-26. Then you'd be talking some good eatin.

Z

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree

********* said:
I dont know of too many people that eat them but I have known a few to tag a big one for taking to the Taxidermy. That would be my only reason to do it, but now with replicas as good as they are I doubt Id even do that. One thing is for sure if your gonna clean three slots and a oversized. You'd better have a knife sharpener. lol

Not to hijack but I sure would like to see that slot drop to something like 16-26. Then you'd be talking some good eatin.

Z
I wish they would lower the slot as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts