2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the following from TPWD is a very good explanation of red snapper in possession

"Red snapper caught in federal waters count as part of the state bag limit of 4 fish. No more than 4 red snapper may be in your possession while fishing in state waters and no more than 2 in federal waters."

I've seen a few discussions on here talking about picking up 4 state snapper on the way in after catching 2 federal snapper and vice-versa. It ain't true. Possession is possession . . . 4 fish per person daily.

·
Fasn8d
50 Posts
Does anybody know how the law works if you catch 4 snapper in state waters then venture into federal waters and then checked by game warden or coast guard in federal waters ?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Does anybody know how the law works if you catch 4 snapper in state waters then venture into federal waters and then checked by game warden or coast guard in federal waters ?
Basically you are screwed. Possession limit in Federal Waters is 2.

·
Play Deep
3,639 Posts
Do Right Brothers will write you a ticket

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you are ever in federal waters (9 miles or more) with more than 2 snapper per person you are in violation. Doesn’t matter where you caught them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
On a side note; are we ever going to be told the length of our season? I would have thought it would have been announced by now.

·
Team Purple Haze
1,861 Posts
Can someone show me a link for recreational season length? Only dates I have seen is for CFH.

·
Relentless
2,597 Posts
I've spoke with both the Game Wardens (state) and Coast Guard (federal), and both gave the same answer

What ever body of water you are stopped in, is the regulations that will be enforced, regardless on where the fish were caught.

If your stopped in federal water and have more then 2 fish, or say you have a Red Fish which is prohibited in federal water, even if they saw you catch them in state water, as soon as you cross into federal, if you get stopped you'll be fined

Relentless

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Can someone show me a link for recreational season length? Only dates I have seen is for CFH.
They have a start of June 1 and closure TBD. I’ll put $100 it closes 12:01am august 3 with the cfh fleet. No way we’ll have more snapper days than the snapper gods.

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
713 Posts
With the spring weather, I bet we don’t see more than 3-4 fishable days in June and maybe 6-7 in July. I’m sure that’ll be over quota though.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If you plan to try to take four Red Snapper in federal waters you may want to have one of these on each side of your console. In 8-1/2" X 11" if they have them

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,377 Posts
TPWD made that mistake last year, everyone got ****** when they closed the season early. Seems this year they are leaving the ending date unknown. Hopefully they do not try real hard to count snapper and let the season run until labor day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts