2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Red snapper / grouper - Freeport

7K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Capt_Gilligan 
#1 ·
I’m new to the offshore fishing seen. I plan on snapper fishing and hopefully finding some grouper too. My home port is Freeport, Tx. I have a few spots, not asking for any spots, just looking for a little guidance. Is, live bait a must or will frozen or jigging work out of Freeport? Any, advise would be appreciate.

#4 ·
For snapper, everything works. Jigs might take a little longer but not much. Have had snapper hit bare hooks dangled over the side more than once.

Grouper will be better on smaller isolated rocks in 190ft and deeper. They like BIG live baits. Keeps the snappers at bay too.

#6 ·
Snapper are not a problem out of Freeport if you like to fish 2 months a year. Literally like shooting fish in a barrel. They have pretty much overrun every reef inside of 60 miles. You will have to streatch it out 60+ miles, perhaps more to get into anything else other than snapper.

#7 ·
Yeah… we dropped some good sized live piggies and sand trout last year (yes, I know it’s not ideal bait but we were struggling on blue runners) down to some rocks in like 690ft hoping to entice a few grouper out…. 25lb snapper galore. Very disappointing.

#17 ·
No, you don't need live bait. You can probably catch better quality of fish on live bait, but if you want to do it easy, get some snapper slappers and tip them with cut bait of your choice. I find they catch better quality of fish then just a baited hooks and a heavy weight.

Normal federal water season, don't stop until you are in 100' of water and trust your sonar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.