2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Handsome, Humble, Contrite
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang! Newbie member here and spending some time going through the boards and getting a feel for the site!

Thought I'd post up some pics of some red drum jigs I recently tied up and wanted to see what others thought so that I can continue to improve upon their design. These were all tied on 1/2 ounce jig heads.

Here they are... your thoughts?

|

|

|

|

·
Banned
101 Posts
First thought - 1/2 ounce is pretty heavy. Am thinking it would take something like a ten weight rod to cast, maybe more. I think the colors are very practical. I spend 99-percent of my time on freshwater, but tie some crazy colors when going to salt. For example, I caught flounder until my arm got tired last week in Galveston - on a pink and chartreuse Clouser. I read, saw or heard something the other day that made me think, "the best flies have the most movement while staying in front of the fish the longest time". Sounds like a paradox, but flies that have a lot of undulating, and pulsing, while going virtually nowhere, have always killed for me. At a 1/2 ounce, and a jig head, I think these may dart past pretty quickly.

Just my two cents, and I usually get asked for change. Cheers, SD

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the inputs!!! I neglected to mention that I have these tied also on saltwater hooks and I build up a head just with the thread. The pics I posted were for my rod-n-reel combos.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe Mont. was right,he should have just deleted the fly fishing section of this forum.If we are going to continue to get stuff like this....

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jackfishish....

the pure intent of this post is to gain feedback on the color schemes... you'll find in my post (#3 of this thread) where I explained that I have saltwater flies tied in the same patterns... I only posted pics of the jigs as those were the ones I currently have.... but will replace those pics with my saltwater flies once I get some new ones tied up and get pictures taken....

my apologies for any irritations that my post may have caused but that was purely not the intent... I'll put all efforts into ensuring that the rest of my fly threads only pertain and show pictures of flies....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe Mont. was right,he should have just deleted the fly fishing section of this forum.If we are going to continue to get stuff like this....
Agreed. Why would you put pictures of bucktail jigs on a fly fishing forum and ask if they would work well? Post is definitely misapplied.

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI... a request has been made to Mont to have this thread moved to a more suitable board.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
Guys, I have been on the road all week working on the red snapper advisory panel in New Orleans. There's only one of me, and I drove 700 miles in 3 days to be there. There's room for all of us here, just try and understand my time is limited when I am driving and sleeping. The rest of the time, I spent working for the fish. It seems like no one remembers they are the reason for our sport, sometimes. We are here for the fish, not the other way 'round.

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the heads up Mont! I know all too well the dreariness of those miles and the work going behind it all!!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Is it really necessary to get so worked up about someone posting 1/2 oz jig heads in the fly fishing forum? Jeez I knew there were some internet police out there but ****!!!! It's obvious that AWMiller is tying his own flies and if he happens to post jigs on here do we really have to tear him a new one???? AWMiller don't sweat it man...sometimes the purists will be a little quick jump down your throat but don't get discouraged. This is a great forum even if it gets a little over regulated by some of its members.....

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Miles2Fish....

Thanks bro! And no sweat on my end! I participate in a lot of forums (and not in just presenting my products!!) and learned a long time ago that things like this will happen. I just roll with it and try to learn the forum ropes just as fast as I can!! I do appreciate the support!!

More artwork and tips will surely be coming!! Looking forward to learning and contributing wherever and however I can here at 2CoolFishing!!

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Geez, someone posted something about Tiger woods in the TTMB section, we need to delete the TTMB forum for that. Had absolutely nothing to do with Texas.

Cool jigs.. Should make nice fly patterns. Maybe some foam heads instead of lead heads would make some nice poppers/sliders.
Epoxy those wraps and the will last a LOT longer..

Makes me want to dig my old System 3 reel out of the garage and put it to some use..

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Arlon:

Foam heads!!!! Dude now there's an awesome idea!!

What would you think... head like a popper? or a foam head made out of those discs to make it dive under the surface just a tad? other ideas?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I used to like foam/cork/sponge heads because I could shape them to different needs on the water. Made some cast heads using "micro baloons" and epoxy but they where harder to reshape. Some of the best where made from those little wedgie shaped makeup sponges (solen from the wife). Tuff and easy to shape. I always started with a large barrel shapped heads. You could trim it to make a slider/diver while fishing if that was what you wanted. About 2 secs. with a pocket knife I could make what ever head I wanted.

Purist, don't read this..

Those sponge heads soak up "pokey" oil and other attractants VERY well...
Squeeze them under water a few times and they soak up enough water (and hold it) to sink too..

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Arlon:

I like that idea!! I'm going to get some foam and sponges and start working on some prototypes with those ideas!! Thanks for the inputs bud!!

·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Arlon:

Dude those are some excellent suggestions man!! I know it's a funny sight to behold to see a big guy like me walking out of the hobby shop with colored markers, foams/sponges, marabou boas, and Hard-As-Nails nail polish!!! hahahahaaaa

I'll be sure to post up some pics 'cause I'm already envisioning them as looking to be some stellar jigs!!!

Thanks again bud!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
First thought - 1/2 ounce is pretty heavy. Am thinking it would take something like a ten weight rod to cast, maybe more. I think the colors are very practical. I spend 99-percent of my time on freshwater, but tie some crazy colors when going to salt. For example, I caught flounder until my arm got tired last week in Galveston - on a pink and chartreuse Clouser. I read, saw or heard something the other day that made me think, "the best flies have the most movement while staying in front of the fish the longest time". Sounds like a paradox, but flies that have a lot of undulating, and pulsing, while going virtually nowhere, have always killed for me. At a 1/2 ounce, and a jig head, I think these may dart past pretty quickly.

Just my two cents, and I usually get asked for change. Cheers, SD
I've never caught a flounder on a fly, but I'm definitely interested now. Can you share some details about "how to"?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Fly Jigs

See; you guys done started getting Old AW all excited and starting some 'Jig Flies' as I call them. It's been one of my secrets for while.

Just be warned that it's a mixed emotion over here catching a redfish that you can't eat while tearing up a fly that you spent time on. Make plenty of spares.

They're more durable with what you'd think when plenty of epoxy is applied.

Maybe I'll put a fly on the Jig Fish Page and watch those guys go ape. C2

1 - 20 of 30 Posts