2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all ... I had a computer that had Windows XP on it and suddenly it ceased to start up. I took it to my computer guy (small town operation) to see if he could recover some important things for me (photos, financial, etc.) and he told me that my Windows XP was corrupted and there was nothing he could do.

I took his word and put the computer away.

Fast forward to now .... I ran across an article on how to recover data from corrupted Windows systems.

Now my question to those here is .... have any of you experienced this and where did you take your hard drive to get it done?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Please post if you get anything from it. Two different IT departments could not recover ours that had a $100k EMS system on it.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Please post if you get anything from it. Two different IT departments could not recover ours that had a $100k EMS system on it.
You ran a business off of one spinning disk? Hearing this kind of stuff makes me want to open a business but I just don't feel like doing it,rather be fishing.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
The windows installation has nothing to do with the data. Unless the actual disc is damaged you should be able to recover your files. I have recovered tons of data from windows installs that blew up.

Unless it was all encrypted it's pretty easy to get data out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You ran a business off of one spinning disk? Hearing this kind of stuff makes me want to open a business but I just don't feel like doing it,rather be fishing.
Not at all. The computer had the programs installed to memory. When it crashed, no one could get the computer to start at all. The powers to be did not pay to have back-ups...….

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody. I plan to dig into it further but just haven't had time yet.

·
'81 Aggie
1,554 Posts
The windows installation has nothing to do with the data. Unless the actual disc is damaged you should be able to recover your files. I have recovered tons of data from windows installs that blew up.

Unless it was all encrypted it's pretty easy to get data out.
+1. It's not much different than moving your data to a new computer with a different OS. Take the hard drive out, stick it into an empty bay on your new computer and it should read all the data.

If it's a laptop, stick the old HD into an external enclosure and plug it into a USB port.

Lots of YouTubes on how to do it.

The one caveat is that you should scan the old HD for viruses before copying anything from it. That may be why WinXP crashed on you...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts