2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a recorder that will give quality recordings of a meeting where the attendees are seated several feet from one another. Envision setting the device on the conference room table. Would prefer a microphone that can be moved around. Ultimately, would like to download to computer and then transcribe. Have no experience with this so far. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I bought a recorder which looked like a USB stick. I attached it to my badge and used it to record conversation in meetings. Its range was about 20' inside a conference room with carpet flooring. Audio quality was quite impressive and most of all it recorded with a swipe of a tiny button and no one was aware of it.
The only negative with this device was battery life. It was able to record continuously for four hours in the beginning. By the second year its battery life was less than half and I had to charge it up everyday. I paid $80 for it five years ago. Now, on Amazon I see similar device for $20.

By the way, according to my attorney, in Texas it is legal to record without telling the other party.

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
I bought a recorder which looked like a USB stick. I attached it to my badge and used it to record conversation in meetings. Its range was about 20' inside a conference room with carpet flooring. Audio quality was quite impressive and most of all it recorded with a swipe of a tiny button and no one was aware of it.
The only negative with this device was battery life. It was able to record continuously for four hours in the beginning. By the second year its battery life was less than half and I had to charge it up everyday. I paid $80 for it five years ago. Now, on Amazon I see similar device for $20.

By the way, according to my attorney, in Texas it is legal to record without telling the other party.
Yep, only one party has to give consent. In this case you as the party to give consent now its legal.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
Dave - I have a little Olympus-brand battery operated recorder that I picked up for recording various meetings I go to.

I also picked up an external mic that plugs into the recorder. The external mic came from Radio Shack, and takes an additional small battery.

The mic has a long cord - just set it on the table in front of the meeting participants and keep the recorder with you. Hit "record" and then download the recording to your computer by a USB cable.

You're welcome to borrow both if you wish - but I've misplaced the USB cable...should be simple to get another one.

If you're recording what I think you're recording - it's a public meeting and by law, they can't stop you from recording unless they go into "executive session"

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
This is what court reporters do in depositions

This would be the easy way...and you would get a transcript along with the video.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I worked with a gc who had a pen that would record. The unique thing about the pen was you wrote on a special note pad during the meeting while recording. You could place the pen on a note and it would replay the audio from that part of the meeting when you wrote the note. It was pretty sweet and in expensive. I don't know the name but I wanna say it was about $100-150.

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave - I have a little Olympus-brand battery operated recorder that I picked up for recording various meetings I go to.

I also picked up an external mic that plugs into the recorder. The external mic came from Radio Shack, and takes an additional small battery.

The mic has a long cord - just set it on the table in front of the meeting participants and keep the recorder with you. Hit "record" and then download the recording to your computer by a USB cable.

You're welcome to borrow both if you wish - but I've misplaced the USB cable...should be simple to get another one.

If you're recording what I think you're recording - it's a public meeting and by law, they can't stop you from recording unless they go into "executive session"
they have advised its ok to make an audio recording. check your pms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts