2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The importance of keeping a record of all the components used was driven home to me recently. A fella's rod had an accident w/ a sliding icechest in the back of his truck, breaking off 2 guides. He called me, wanting to ship the rod back for me to do the repair. Shipping 7' rods isn't cheap. I looked up what guides I had used, he counted down from the tiptop, I knew right off the right size, and even the color# of thread used. I mailed him the 2 guides and he took to a local shop for the repair. $10 later, he's fishing again. I didn't start keeping good records 'til recently, now I wouldn't do it any other way, even on my personal stuff. Jerry

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Good man Sir, I wished all custom rod builders would do that....I can tell you for a fact that it could save a lot of Heartache and disappointment......

Reactions: jabx1962

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Been Keeping records from the day I officially started making rods for sale. Sure has saved a lot of heart ache and the insurance companies and law enforcement love it when a claim or report is made. Anyone ever wish to see the forms I use just drop me a line and I will gladly share them.

·
Right wing nut job, Bitter clinger to 2C
14,926 Posts
Good Advice

Sounds like something i need to start doing. I havent been building that long so hopefully it won't come back and bite me in the rear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Goags,

Smart move. I keep records on every rod I build. My reason is I have customers calling wanting the same blank as another one I built for them or a friend. I also record designs and colors as well.It sure makes it easier especially for repeat customers. Good fishing
C.P.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Record keeping

You also need to keep good business records if you sell rods. You need records for the IRS and also for the Texas sales tax people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts