2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made what in Nam we called a recon in force Sunday Morn. Since I keep my boat at the big bridge I decided to see how long it would take to get to the upper Kickapoo from there. That was the recon part.
I took minnows to fish if I reached my destination. That was the force.
Left Lake side RV at 7:04. Followed my fantastic GPS and my fading memory. I was in the big bend near the new house at 7:49. That was only running at a fast idle from the Kickapoo bridge on north. Total of 16.4 nautical miles. ( 18.4 for car drivers)
There were lots of boats in the creek. As I idled up the creek a gentleman my age in an old 14 boat older than both of us waved me over. He said "Tie up right here. I just need one fish for a limit and I'm headed home"
He pulled that nice one up, cranked the old 10 horse Evinrude and headed south. I shouted a "thank you" and baited up.
I caught about 40 in the next two hours. Only keeping the larger 12" ones. When I got home I had enough to make sweet sour for 23 Chinamen.
It was a great trip also because it was the first time I had seen Triple Creek Marina from the water since 1973. Boy some one sure turned a lot of my hard work in to a creek side Ghetto. What a mess.
Got all the twist and bends marked in my GPS. I can make the trip in the dark now with out a problem.
I went to Oakhurst and bought another two pounds of minnows for the vat before heading home so I am locked and loaded for the next mission.

·
Registered
14,434 Posts
Great trip Sunbeam, that's a bit of a boat ride but well worth it. Those crappie are biting so well, a lot boats today and most catching fish.

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,910 Posts
Glad you made it out there. That sounds like a nice trip....and WTG on the crappie. There's some really nice ones in there. I need to reduce my freezer contents before I can take any more home....but they taste so good that shouldn't be a problem.

I made a boatless recon trip today to White Rock to Trinity to Nelson's and back down to Riverside. The river is looking pretty good now and after Thanksgiving I'll be in there looking for whites.

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you made it out there. That sounds like a nice trip....and WTG on the crappie. There's some really nice ones in there. I need to reduce my freezer contents before I can take any more home....but they taste so good that shouldn't be a problem.

I made a boatless recon trip today to White Rock to Trinity to Nelson's and back down to Riverside. The river is looking pretty good now and after Thanksgiving I'll be in there looking for whites.
The flow at the dam is dropping like a rock. 12,000 cfs and going down. Mother Natural has the water in the upper river leveled out with no slugs.
As I said early the flow in the tail race should be 5000 or less by Dec. 1st.
The whites down there should look like stripers after two months of gorging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts