2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace a 25 hp merc outboard on an old aluminum boat. We use the boat mainly for river fishing. The motor has seen it's share of stumps, rocks, and steep concrete ramps (ouch). It's just isn't reliable anymore and needs another rebuild. I would prefer not another mercury. Any thoughts on what manufacturer I should consider? This is a co-owned boat, but I'm the only one frustrated enough to put up $ for the motor. So, less expensive is better. Maybe Nissan, Tohatsu? Or bite the bullet for a honda? Any advice is appreciated.

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
5,308 Posts
Tohatsu not too bad
Got a bud with one on his flatbottom and it runs good. He has had it for about 2 years with no issues...

Honda or Zuke

·
Registered
144 Posts
Tohatsu been running a 140 since 98, put it thru hell and back and i just had the carbs cleaned and tuned after over 800 hours, Howard did my service work at fiber-works 979 323 9087

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure I will ever like an outboard. More like a necessary evil. But, the white bass run will start in about a month, and the crappie seem to be biting now. I just want something I can take to the shop once a year for maintenance and will fire up when I hit start.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I too, have been looking around for 25 to 30 hp. They sure seems to be great deals on new (non currents) or late model used, until you need one ! I am having a hard time spending $ 3000.00+ for new Yamaha that might see the water twice a month. Hope you can find that great deal, time is definitely on my side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts