2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys know where I could find a list of some soldiers serving in Afghanistan? And also do any of you know the restrictions on sending stuff to them, if there are any?

I want to send a gift and some other stuff they might like to a couple soldiers this Christmas. Things have been tight around here like everyone else this year, but I still would like to send at a box of goodies to a couple deserving warriors. I really want guys that are behind the trigger everyday, infantry guys that strap it on each day and venture outside the wire.
I know what I am going to get them for a gift, but I also want to send some goodies or things they need to help make their life a little easier in any way I can, sometimes it is the small things that they miss most from what I have been told. So if any of you have any insight in to what they would like to get, with in reason, please post up. Thanks

·
Hunting the Sith...
6,022 Posts
Do any of you guys know where I could find a list of some soldiers serving in Afghanistan? And also do any of you know the restrictions on sending stuff to them, if there are any?

I want to send a gift and some other stuff they might like to a couple soldiers this Christmas. Things have been tight around here like everyone else this year, but I still would like to send at a box of goodies to a couple deserving warriors. I really want guys that are behind the trigger everyday, infantry guys that strap it on each day and venture outside the wire.
I know what I am going to get them for a gift, but I also want to send some goodies or things they need to help make their life a little easier in any way I can, sometimes it is the small things that they miss most from what I have been told. So if any of you have any insight in to what they would like to get, with in reason, please post up. Thanks
Can't give you a PO Box but toiletries are always nice and a big hit that is cheap is the flavored water packets like fruit punch and flavored tea's. Batteries are always good.

RiverRat might be able to help you get in touch with someone and there was a teacher that was trying to get things together but I don't know exactly what unit or where their shipment was going. They could just as easily got to guys in the rear as they could to the guys going out on combat patrols.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
I have a friend that you can help out, if you PM and help me to remember(sorry, finals coming up so kinda brain-tied) to send you his address over there, he and his buddies would love anything you send. I havent sent a box in a while due to money issues.

·
The Thread Killer
1,350 Posts
this is from a coworkers son who is serving.

Black cotton socks, lotion, any cold weather gear (gloves, hand warmers), shelf stable food (crackers, cookies, beef jerky, drink powders), cards, board games, foot powder, deodorant, underwear

Rank, Last name, First Name
3/10 HQ BTRY MAIN
UNIT 73365
FPO-AE 09510-3365

The mailing address here is:

Rank, Last name, First Name
3/10 HQ BTRY MAIN
UNIT 73365
FPO-AE 09510-3365

Pvt Mundis, Robert
PFC Webster, Chauncey
LCpl Harryman, Phillip
LCpl Snyder, William
Sgt Gutierrez, Jose
RP Ellis, Clifford
PFC Rose, Matthew
LCPL Juarez, Marcial
Cpl Clayton, Harry
Cpl Alcocer, Victor
Cpl Dillard, Herman
LCpl Cousins, Tairiku
LCpl Norris, Cameron
LCpl Wright, Ruben
LCpl Carson, Christopher
LCpl Madrigal, Jose
Pfc Burks, Michael
Cpl Didisse, Derek
Cpl Porter, Brad
Cpl Duncan, Daniel
LCpl Saintil, Matthieu
LCpl Guarino, Bryan
LCpl Patton, Colton
LCpl Shaw, Alan
Cpl Howard, Kevin
Cpl Bates, Brandon
Cpl George, Matthew
Lcpl Hutchman, Ethan
Lcpl McKee, Justin
Lcpl Wilkerson, Donald
Lcpl Lietzau, Keith
Lcpl Sever, Lucas
Lcpl Nguyen, Calvin
Lcpl Mitchell, Issac
LCpl Aceves, Marco A
LCpl Adams, Robert B
LCpl Howell, William R
Cpl Hernandez, Eliot A
Cpl Webster, Jonathan D
SSgt Trexler, Matthew A
Cpl Shea, Kurt
Cpl Mateo, Marcos
LCpl Harvey, Erin
LCpl Allermann, Mark
LCpl Mosier, Derek
Pfc Dowdy, Sean
Pfc Hernandez, Jonathan
SSgt LeJeune, Christopher
Cpl Munn, Adam

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Go by any post office and get the flat rate shipping boxes only $11.50 per 12" x12" x6" box, special price is for overseas service personnel only.Be sure to get the forms for them, and fill out everything. The post office can list all the items not allowed.Time is short, seems they told me Dec. 10th is cut off date to make Christmas delivery to APO's. My Knight's of Columbus assembly has been shipping for a while already.Most guys we ship to ask for things like, beef jerky, drink mixs, baby wipes, sunscreen, chapstick, plastic bags(ziplocks), batteries, shampoo, soap, deodarant. We even had one who wanted Buceee's stickers to go on his Hummer, we sent Don't Mess with Texas stickers also,( hope he sends a picture back). We even sent large batches of Christmas cards marked "any serviceman" and asked the recipient of our package to distribute to any else one in need of support or feeling alone.Thanks for caring about our troops and Merry Christmas to you!-Mike

·
RODS DOWN!! LET THE BOAT BUZZARD PASS.
2,149 Posts

I don't know if you got your answer or not but I have been volunteering at the "Military Moms and Wives of Brazoria County" putting together Care Packages for our military overseas. I'm sure if you call them they can get you what ever you need. The wife and I get groups of 10 or 15 people together go build these packages and always have a blast. Set up a time to help with a group of friends or family you will see what I mean. I'd also like to say Buccees is one of their main sponsors giving them so much food and goodies you can hardly keep up getting it shipped off.

(979)236-6861
(979)549-0335

http://militarymomsandwives.org/

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I found a couple websites, but some of them had things to buy from them to ship to people. I want to get my own stuff for the boxes. I read about the flat rate box, but that sure isn't very big, I would have to send several.

I found one site that had soldiers names and pics and what they did, but most said they were unit commanders and they would distribute the stuff, didn't like that idea.

BigPun, where are they stationed, Iraq, or Afg.?

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The anysoldier site lets you pick the soldier.
That is where i have been the last 45 minutes. I found a group of Marines from Texas that are in small squads spread out training locals, so I am going to send some packages to them. I sure wish the Post office boxes were larger.

·
5,912 Posts
That is where i have been the last 45 minutes. I found a group of Marines from Texas that are in small squads spread out training locals, so I am going to send some packages to them. I sure wish the Post office boxes were larger.
LOL My wife says the same thing.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
My nieghbor's SIL is part of the Texas Guard call out for his second Iraq deploy. He stopped by before heading to Ft Bliss for training. I asked if he needed anything.

He said magazines. I asked, Field and Stream, Guns and Ammo?

He laughed and said, "no, M-16 magazines". He said the issued ones have weak springs and tend to double feed.

I sent him 10 mags. He was very pleased.

Mike

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Hey guys. I know everyone thinks toiletries are a must to send. Most, but not all, soldiers have access to the px pretty regulary and have pretty much everything they need. Stuff they can't get there is the best to send. IE homemade jerky, homeade candy, stuff not regulary found in the store. We used to get so much of that stuff it couldn't all get used and it would pile up. Just trying to help my brothers out.

·
11,766 Posts
While you are at it send some Christmas cheer to a wounded soldier.
When doing your Christmas cards this year, please take one card and send it to : A Recovering American Soldier, c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6900 Georgia Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20307-5001....

·
5,912 Posts
While you are at it send some Christmas cheer to a wounded soldier.
When doing your Christmas cards this year, please take one card and send it to : A Recovering American Soldier, c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6900 Georgia Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20307-5001....
No good Tod
This is from the Walter Reed website
Release No. 09-46
Date: Nov. 30, 2009
For Immediate Release

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Walter Reed Army Medical Center officials want to remind the public of an incorrect holiday e-mail asking recipients to send cards, letters and packages to recovering Soldiers here. The e-mail suggests recipients to send Christmas cards to "A Recovering American Soldier," and lists a Walter Reed, Washington, D.C., address.

All military installations, not just Walter Reed, cannot accept these packages in support of the decision by then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Transportation Policy in 2001. This decision was made to ensure the safety and well being of patients and staff at medical centers throughout the Department of Defense.

In addition, the U.S. Postal Service is no longer accepting "Any Service Member" or "A Recovering American Soldier" letters or packages. Mail to "Any Service Member" that is deposited into a collection box will not be delivered.

·
11,766 Posts
I just read about that Charles. Another correct link was added and it passed the Snopes test. The American Red Cross took over the duties but it has to be postmarked Monday.

Holiday Mail for Heroes
PO Box 5456
Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456

All cards must be postmarked no later than Monday, December 7th. Cards postmarked after this date will unfortunately be returned to the sender. This deadline ensures enough time to sort and distribute cards before the holidays.

After the mailbox closes, the cards we received will be screened for hazardous materials by Pitney Bowes and then reviewed by Red Cross volunteers working around the country. Then, the cards are sent out to recipients in time for the holidays.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts