2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so tired if the lay-offs, cut-backs, closings, etc. When is the @#%$ going to end. I wish someone like Alan Greenspan would get on television and tell the USA that we can all stop worrying and get back to business as usual!

·
Wish the hull of my boat was wet!
10,857 Posts
Me to. They just layed off 7 last week where I work. Talking about more an years of service means nothing anymore. I wish it would end soon.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
How this:

Chickenboy speaking from the top of his lungs, "USA stop worrying and get back to business as usual!"

USA!

USA!

USA!

"The Sun comes up in the morning, I am going to come up with, it is time to get back to business!"

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I agree. I'm tired of hearing about companies laying off. I'm sure it's necessary at times. I wish more companies would look for other ways to cut costs. I'd rather see salary reductions than layoffs. Cut the salaries of the CEO's and other overpaid hotshots.

·
Old ******
4,521 Posts
This recession will end when people finally wake up and figure out that the reason businesses are not hiring is because of who is in the White House and Congress and the Senate...and how little we trust them to do anything that is right for America.

They all keep blaming everything in the world but the true cause of this problem.

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
imo...the "prosperity" we were seeing prior to this recession was a facade. the housing industry was booming on shaky home loans, the energy industry on tricky accounting, stocks were way overvalued, etc....there were some solid investments out there, but we were in get-it-now and get-all-we-can mode. this recession will correct a lot of that, but it'll be painful for some and prosperous for others. those with capital will get bargains right now while those with debt will struggle.

i think the economy will slowly get better, but not as "good" as it was pre-recession, for a while. slow, steady growth is good...i think we're on the right track (except i don't think we should have bailed out the failing companies).

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I have to agree with Dangerous. People have lost confidence in the Government and wonder when it will end and how much damage to the bottom line will there be. Think about it. How many people are making big purchases now. Industry is the same.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
My Daughter and 5 fellow workers got laid off in Tulsa Oklahoma 2 weeks ago...She was with company that did engineering and drafting for gas pipeline company expansions...

Not the time to be spending any money on anything you really do not need to live...

Remember the 1980s? same #$#@ ...different year...

·
Pistol58
2,591 Posts
My company has been laying off for a while now. Boss always tells me Im safe, which I trust him, but what really really gets me, is that my company offshores EVERYTHING. We take a new client, work out all the kinks, then immediately offshore it to India. Just had a team of 8 of them leave a few months ago, they were here for 4 months. We trained them to do all our current processes. So now we are "oversighting" them. So now what? They have it down, and where does that leave us. With the economy the way it is, no new clients to sign as far as I know, not even anything in the works....trying to get outta this line of work...but they are paying for school for me at this time...so whats a man to do but grin and bear it?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Daughter and 5 fellow workers got laid off in Tulsa Oklahoma 2 weeks ago...She was with company that did engineering and drafting for gas pipeline company expansions...

Not the time to be spending any money on anything you really do not need to live...

Remember the 1980s? same #$#@ ...different year...
The 80's hurt really hurt the oil field states - Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, etc. I know; I got the axe in 1984 in Houston. Unfortunately, this "recession" is hurting the whole country.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree. I'm tired of hearing about companies laying off. I'm sure it's necessary at times. I wish more companies would look for other ways to cut costs. I'd rather see salary reductions than layoffs. Cut the salaries of the CEO's and other overpaid hotshots.
I don't like seeing anyone get hurt but I have to agree with this. Why should only a few (or many) individuals have to be the only people that suffer. Every company talks about team this and team that until a lay-off occurs. Then the poor receptionist or marketing guy is let loose. I know people are going to disagree with this but, if there a just salary cuts, then maybe everyone can keep their job.

·
MHX Pro Staff
1,355 Posts
This thing won't end until the middle class, what's left of us, decide enouigh is enough and go back to leading our lives. A compnay can't pay people without income and people can't buy without employment. Somebody is going to have to give somewhere to right the ship.
I don't feel good about making big purchases right now. I would love to buy my wife a new house but what about tomorrow? We can afford just about whatever we want and both jobs are stable but I'm not confident in spending that kind of money right now.

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
You're on top of it Monkeyman!

This economy will last, as long, as it takes for the world money market to over come the effects of the "sub-prime/no doc" loans packaged with "good" loans into billion$ investment packages and sold world wide. Most of those investment packages remain valueless, and until the market can assess a value on them the owners will have to continue to hold them, thus the cash will not be in the world wide cycle of cash flow. Those selling their investment packages short have had to take a hit of 75 to 25%, thus the hold. It will take 4 to 5 more years for the sub-prime loans in the those packages to default, be refinanced, or paid off, due to sale of the home. This all means we will continue in this state for years to come. It all started in the Clinton administration to encourage home purchases by the lower income and was continued until two years ago. There are literally thousands of the billion$ investment packages held by investors like national governments, universities, investment companies, etc. and until they can sell and reinvest their cash we will remain in this sluggish slow moving economy. The only solution that has been suggested, but poo-pooed was for the U.S. government to buy all of the "bad" or potentially bad loans out of those packages, thus allowing the packages to be able to be valued and sold. This has not and probably will not happen, thus the wait until it goes through the eventual process mentioned above. Enjoy and spend frugally.:cool:
imo...the "prosperity" we were seeing prior to this recession was a facade. the housing industry was booming on shaky home loans, the energy industry on tricky accounting, stocks were way overvalued, etc....there were some solid investments out there, but we were in get-it-now and get-all-we-can mode. this recession will correct a lot of that, but it'll be painful for some and prosperous for others. those with capital will get bargains right now while those with debt will struggle.

i think the economy will slowly get better, but not as "good" as it was pre-recession, for a while. slow, steady growth is good...i think we're on the right track (except i don't think we should have bailed out the failing companies).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts