2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Irish Setter was rushed to the Animal ER yesterday. Just like any ER Faith & I sat there while it took 3 1/2 hrs. to find the problem. She has a severe case of pancreaitis, and not sure about her liver and kidney function until we have more test run. I picked her up this morning a took her and her IV hook up to my vet where they will continue her care and run the rest of the test. Rebba is 11yrs. old and I told vet to do what ever needs to be done to give her more time with us without me being selfish. She has a 50/50 chance of pulling out of it and she seemed to be in better spirits this morning.I love my vet and thank him for his work and allowing us to come by at any given time to sit with her.

Stacy

·
Look in the inside of a person for love
861 Posts
Will be praying for Reba......when every you have an animal they are apart of the family and you do care for them like a child......

·
Registered
802 Posts
Prayers sent that Reba makes a full recovery. I know what you mean about asking for just a little bit more time with them. Rendon is right, our pets are like children, and when they hurt, we hurt. I hope it all works out for y'all.

G

·
I hope Rebe B recovers quickly and fully. I remember when I and another G.G. helped Mont choose her name.

:rybka:

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
I thought about that too, Jarry. It was when Patrick lost Baxter, I added the B to her name. Only later did it become Reba Bgood, Reba bquiet, lol. We hadn't really put all the clues together that she was sick, but when she turned down brisket, the girls whisked her off the the emergency vet. She's with the best aggie vet I know of now, and I hope she turns around. It's not the same coming down the driveway without that big red hound barking up a storm. Yesterday was the first Nascar race I have watched in 12 years without her holding down her end of the couch.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Prayers sent! I hope she makes a full recovery. We had a Irish Setter growing up and she was two weeks shy of fifteen when she passed. She was the world's best dog and my family loved her so much. She was a unbelievable retriever and hunted doves with us until she was thirteeen. My dad would carry her up ten feet and put her in the deer blind with him and he also took her everywhere he went. I've got some old pics of her that I need to scan and post.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reba Up-Date

Reba was a bit more herself this morning.More active. They let her have some time without her IV . Being that she is on day 6 with no real food in her she is a bit thin but later they are going to try and give a small amount food and see if she can hold it down. Our results will come back today. Keep your fingers crossed! Stacy

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
Wishing that Reba gets better soon Stacy. I had a female Irish Setter for 12 years + and she was the best hunting buddy a man could ask for. Give her a pat on the head for me.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Our pet has been through this same thing. I pray that Reba pulls thru with flying colors.
We had to change our furry friends diet.

Its tough when our beloved pets are sick, they are like our children.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
99% home coming

Although it has been a huge expense on us I am glad we took the risk. The vet just called and Reba is coming home this afternoon on a strict diet of can food and some powder stuff to add the bacteria she needs in her belly! Still unable to control her bladder function but he feels with the antibiotics that to will subside. Yippeeeee.....To all those people who thought I should put her down "phoooooey on you".Now that's money well spent. Stacy

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
we use Nasa Pet Clinic and I can't thank them enough for getting my big red couch potato well again. The girls are picking her up at 3 and I told them to go and get her a new, soft bed to stay on until she's back up to full speed. I stopped by this morning to visit her and as soon as she heard my voice, was howling. The doc said she wolfed down her can of dog food in about 3 bites, which is how she normally is around food.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Alrighty what a GOOD REPORT!!!
Now i know all of you are SO happy!! YIPPEE is right on!!! Im happy for you

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could things get any worse?

So, this morning my vet calls, maybe not so good news that Reba's recent blood test and or what ever else was run on her are back.The readings are so high that the chart only goes to 1000 on her pancreas test (norm being 200) and hers doesn't read because it is still off the charts, white count way up there so we have to leave her on antibiotics. I'm still o.k. knowing she is home fighting this stuff. Then the vet calls to check up on her and I say all is well but she seems to be leaving blood spots on her sheets. So he has me investigate but I did not find anything. Faith and I leave the house and come back to more blood on the tile through out the house so I once again investigate and find she has some how managed to put a nice slice in her side. Sooooooo, off to the vet again! We are now home and reba is all stitched up and I am resting comfortably!!LOL Until the next up-date...........over and out!

Stacy

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Keep your heads up Stacy and Faith. Irish Setters are tough dogs. Mine was hit by a car at eleven and lived almost to fifteen. They are great dogs and I hope Reba gets well soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts