2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking into getting my real estate license and was looking for some input to what I am getting myself into. Let me start off with saying that I am used to working with the state being that I have been an Independent Catastrophe Insurance Adjuster for almost 25 years as of two years ago. Decided to retire when the wife asked me to at the old age of 46, and now with the rising cost of fuel, electricity and such I have decided to look at other avenues to increase my monthly income. My questions are many but I will post a few and see what I can get out of the 2cool brain trust…….

What is the test like?

How hard is it to get a sponsor?

Do you have to create your own book of business to have any work?

Any input is appreciated, and I look forward to correspondence from the one in the know…..

Best Regards,

Terry "Chongo" New

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,848 Posts
I can help you out with some questions.. have been in that business for almost 20 years. Send me a message and I'll give you an email address.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
If you do this, you not only need to know real estate, but you need to master the art of selling. Working with the state is only part of the game. You will want to take courses in sales and read every book on the subject that you can.

I recommend you pick up the book "How to Master the Art of Selling" by Tom Hopkins to start with.

I got a real estate license when I was very young and starved for a year before getting out. I knew real estate very well, but product knowlege won't put food on the table. Now that I have been in sales for nearly 20 years I look back at how silly I was for thinking I could break into real estate and make it big, without know what I was doing.

Getting into any kind of sales without knowing how to sell is kind of like going fishing with no rod and reel and no line and no hooks. You'll have all the bait you could ask for (your inventory of homes and land) but no way to bring in the fish.

You have to know how to sell or you will waste a lot of time money and be very frustrated if your sales skills are lacking.

Others can help you with the real estate part, I can help you with the sales part. To loosely quote Tom Hopkins; "There is no such thing as a natural born sales wonder." It is a profession that takes hard work and commitment to learn. Cool thing is once you've mastered how to sell, you can sell anything, from real estate to chemicals(Soapeddler) to boats to airplanes to cars to ... whatever.

Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
"Getting into any kind of sales without knowing how to sell is kind of like going fishing with no rod and reel and no line and no hooks. You'll have all the bait you could ask for (your inventory of homes and land) but no way to bring in the fish." Well said Soapeddler.

I did sales for 6 years, also starved the first year. Once you learn how to sale you will be successful no matter what the product is. The only problem with real estate is that the market is flooded with agents. MLS listing agents have more than doubled in the last few years. With rates climbing its becoming more of a buyers market. There are going to be a lot of starving agents in the near future. But hey life is full of difficulties, they only make you stronger.... so go for it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I do not foresee much difficulty in the selling aspect of the job. I have had to sell myself to insured's in very difficult situations as well as selling everything from tires to services for a national Environmental and Engineering Company. If I had not been able to produce I would not have been able to retire at 46.

I do appreciate all the advice and I am sure that a lot of people step into opportunities with out knowing what is all involved. That is what I am trying to find out. I have mentored several new adjusters threw out the years and most had not a clue what they were getting into. Some made it and some did not but I did my best to prepare them for the road ahead of them.

This is my objective, to look down the road and hopefully be able to see around the next several curves.

Best Regards,

Chongo

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Remember the 80/20 rule. 80% of the real estate sales people make 20% of the money and 20% of the people make 80% of the money. I was told in 1970 when I got my Real Estate License that Real Estate is an easy way to make a poor living and a hard way to make a good living. For the last 36 years, it has been up and down, some of the most fun I have had and you meet some great people. I did manage to make a pretty good living but often had to cancel plans to meet with clients. It is impolite to ask a cattle man how many cows he has but in Real Estate if you don't ask the client how much money he has, you might be wasting your time. Observe the top producers in your office and see what they are doing, talk to them and ask questions. Real Estate is not rocket science but it is a fun way to make a living. Good luck to you.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
I am learning that the 80/20 rule applies to just about every type of organization there is. Its true in sales, and it is also true in volunteer organizations. 80% of the work is done by 20% of the volunteers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.