2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went up to my buddy's property between Leakey and Campwood to do a little Cedar tree removal last Thursday and the Deer are fat and the bucks are sporting some nice racks! The Bucks we saw all were to their ears or just outside and heavy. I guess all the rain and green grass did its job not to mention the protein we feed.

The Axis deer were thick! Thursday night, the front yard looked like a breeding pen. We counted 35 Axis in one herd. 6 Bucks were well over 28" and one close to 33+"! Had we not been twisting off so heavy in that bottle of Crown, that big boy would have been in the cooler.

Friday morning was a bit soggy from heavy dew fall so we headed into town to get more corn and protein. Then off to lunch at Mama Chole's for mexican food (Wonderful Food)! Then back to the property to fill the feeders. The John Deere was calling my name so I fired her up and proceeded to clear about 2 acres of cedars that were covering some prime soil with little to no rocks. That area is going to look like a park once the grass grows over it. We worked till about 8:15 that evening and we all had all we could stand of cedar trees. After showers, Pork Ribs and several pulls from the Crown, we hit the sack. Around 1:30 am, the sky was nothing but streaks of lightening to the S/E. Around 03:00, it started thundering and then the sky opened up! It was still pouring at 11:00 am when we pulled out of the driveway. The drive home was another adventure since the highway across the Frio River was closed so we had to detour to Uvalde to hit Hwy 90. Well 90 was closed between Uvalde and Sabinal (Kanippa area), so we had to turn around and go back to Uvalde and hit 117 to 57, and then on to Hwy 35. The normal 6 hour trip turned into 8 hours.

Anyways, the trip was productive, saw some great animals and ate and drank like kings.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,582 Posts
I've got to run up to our place in Utopia pretty quick but with Dad the way he is I haven't wanted to get too far away from home.

I bet the rivers are pretty when they're not raging, lol.

You didn't shoot one of those Axis cause ya'll didn't want to have to clean it. :D

TH

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You got that right! lol

Trouthunter said:
I've got to run up to our place in Utopia pretty quick but with Dad the way he is I haven't wanted to get too far away from home.

I bet the rivers are pretty when they're not raging, lol.

You didn't shoot one of those Axis cause ya'll didn't want to have to clean it. :D

TH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts