2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know a place in S/W Houston where you can buy chunk charcoal instead of the briquets? Kroger on HWY 6 used to have it but I haven't seen it there in over a year. Maybe it's just in my mind, but it seems to me that it burns hotter and also makes grilled stuff taste better.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
HEB a lot of times carries B&B lump charcoal, may depend on the area you are in though.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Had never thought of looking at Academy, but picked up some there this morning. $12.50 for a 20 lb bag of lump oak charcoal. Seemed a little pricey to me compared to what I used to pay, but being Oak, it should burn fairly slow and it was some nice stuff with lots of good sized chunks in it.

I also picked up a bag of Mesquite wood. They had pecan, oak and mesquite mini-logs. The price is $10 for a good sized bag, probably about three cubic feet. The logs are about 3-5 inches in diameter and when split into halves or thirds with a hatchet they were just the right size for the firebox on my smoker.

That lump charcoal and three of the mesquite logs made for some mighty yummie ribs this afternoon.

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
I like using the lump charcoal. The Foodtown by me has it in huge bags (I'd guess 40 pound) for around $14. Jess Pirtle/Eldridge

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The lump charcoal I got from Academy was B&B oak. It says "no additives". It's a 20 lb bag and was about $12.50.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts