2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends- I copies this off of another website and thought it could save someone life if it ever happens to your boat.

Mark

Mike is a great guy, runs a great event and should in NO WAY be blamed for any of this. It is the captain's (me) decision to factor in all of the conditions, vessel, crew, tide, experience, etc….to determine what is safe and when it is safe. I take sole and full responsibility for the accident…I blame no-one or have no excuses….but there ARE several reasons this happened the way it did, and learning from it may save a life. If it only saves ONE LIFE, then it will be worth the time spent pecking away at this keyboard.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Pretty good description of the 'panic mode' and keeping your head. Coming in the jetties at falling tides is always an event. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Oh, those boats with waterproof doors can become a coffin, which is why you might think about a crow bar, sledge hammer, or ax if you got 'em.

For gas-filled life jackets, activate them when you get into the water away from the boat, mebbe.

Might think about line cutters on your props, too. Easy to say all this when the s*** happens, though, because it's like 1-2-3 BOOM. West Coast, sheesh, I've heard some stories about the Columbia River, too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mont made a post one time about breaking a link the chain of events. You break one link in the chain and you can normally make it out ok.

Sometimes it is the handheld, the epirb, spare parts, or system redundancies. I see 2 in this scenario. Line on the prop and heading in with a raging swell and outgoing tide. Those 2 combined are what flipped the boat. Eliminate either (removing the line or waiting for the tide to change) and they probably make it in.

That is easy to say after the fact. Hopefully I don't have a situation like that. If I do, I hope I am able to make the correct decision and break the chain of events.

Thanks for the story, it is good to remember how it can get ugly real quick.

Sam

·
Registered
542 Posts
I used to fish the Columbia. It can go from beautiful to real ugly really fast. One time we went out and the wind picked up and changed directions, a large wave stood the boat completely on end, I dropped the sandwich I was holding to grab the seat, and it fell over the top of the transom. We immediately turned tail and ran for the jetties at full throttle. With the huge waves crashing across the jetties it felt like threading a needle to get the boat back in. The waves were knocking the boat 10-20 ft to the side each time making the rocks at the end of the jetties uncomfortably close with each wave. We barely made it back in, our decision to return immediately at the first sign of bad weather most likely saved our lives.

·
Registered
289 Posts
mark you dont have to worry about me you know im not scared to put a life jacket on after the storm we ran into this summer i was a little concerned lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts