2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: MV Report 8/5-8. 1st Sandy '04!

Well, Sat. night at 10:45pm, I landed my first Sandbar of 2004 (my second trip to Martha's Vineyard this year), 6' 1" female, 36" girth, she was a sweetie and a real brute.

Of all things, ;) I landed her on my 10' St. Croix (Ben Doer) with my Penn SS7500, on a live Eel as a backup rod (in case a Striper swam by), to my main Shark Rod 12 footer with a fresh bloody Bluefish head on. I'm 'gonna put this little Rod/Unit in a glass case one day as it's totally amazed me time and time again over several years!

All data submitted to Marine State Biologist Greg Skomal on Sun., he and I had a freaking really interesting conversation at a picnic about Browns in Coastal NE waters and I'm going to get some additional data from him in a few weeks.

Report and pix to follow.

:)

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Nice work... light-tackle challenge '04

I'm surprised you don't get into the sandys down in Florida... What gives? Do they stop at Hatteras?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Well,...

Subourbon said:
Nice work... light-tackle challenge '04

I'm surprised you don't get into the sandys down in Florida... What gives? Do they stop at Hatteras?
I've yet to land one in (SE) FL.,... I think the Sandys come up from the Gulf, and do whatever, hit OBX, then Delaware, Jersey, (NE) waters etc.

But heck, in the Gulf and OBX, you guys do pick 'em up.

When they hit Cape Cod and the Islands, it's sweet, but still kind of a mystery.

:D

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I don't know about Fla or the East coast, but here in Texas, we don't get sandbars in the surf until the water cools below 70 deg. I don't think they like warm water.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Interesting.

gundoctor said:
I don't know about Fla or the East coast, but here in Texas, we don't get sandbars in the surf until the water cools below 70 deg. I don't think they like warm water.
The Browns (Sandys), dont' usually start showing 'til the water temps hit 70, mid July, depending on the year, they head out usually around mid Sept. They definately seem to have a tolerance for contrasting water temps. I wish they were as healthy as Blacktips as a species.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Over here in NC (Cape Hatteras, anyway), it seems like 7 out of 10 surfzone biters are sandys. That holds true from May until September or so, then the massive squadrons of sharpies, tippers and spinners arrive and eat everyting in the water.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Wow!

Subourbon said:
Over here in NC (Cape Hatteras, anyway), it seems like 7 out of 10 surfzone biters are sandys. That holds true from May until September or so, then the massive squadrons of sharpies, tippers and spinners arrive and eat everyting in the water.
HUH,... "Wow!"

That's really interesting.

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts