2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SECEDE
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are AMB R-Monitor / Orbitz the standard for timing and scoring in R/C racing? I work in Motor Sports, and I am familiar with this protocol. I am not so familiar with r/c racing. I have seen AMB R/C transponders for sell. I am just curious if there are any other products out there in use?

Thanks.
-LTT

·
Registered
455 Posts
AMB-RC is the standard in r/c racing. There are a few other ones out there, but the IR technology seems more cumbersome with multiple sensors and having to have a clear spot on the car body to transmit the signal is a pain. The amb transponder works through the car's chassis and body without any worries of blocking the IR signal. The system uses a loop, probably similar to the ones you know, and works very well. We went with AMB, even though more expensive, because that is the standard at most tracks and prevents people from having to purchase different types of transponders for each track.

AMB has recently merged with Mylaps and has some new technology coming out. I'm not sure how much better we can expect it to be, but it's interesting reading at their website.

As far as timing software, most tracks I know of use either Autoscore or RC Scoring Pro. You will hear mixed feedback about both, so it's pretty much user preference.

·
SECEDE
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I am asking is that I want to build an interfaced results page, that could be distributed to monitors around a track using the real-time data from the scoring protocol. I know this can be done using the AMB software. I am not so sure about the others that you had mentioned.

As I said, I am not that familiar with R/C racing. I don't know if anyone is already doing this. I don't know if anyone would even want something like this. Just trying to feel it out a bit before diving in.

If you have any feeling on this, I would love to hear them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts