2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help on choosing a Raymarine transducer if anyone can provide their opinion.

I'm upgrading from the 600watt in-hull transducer (the one that shoots thru the hull)

I'm looking at either the 600 or 1000 watt thru hull transducer. Is there a big difference between the two?

We started to do more billfishing last year and had a great season but realized that once we got to 300 ft the ducer would start flshing and not read as well. We still do some bottom fishing as well but just want to get something good enough for what we do on a "Beast Light Budget"

The boat is a 39ft Midnight with Trips. Any suggestions or opinions is much appreciated!

James

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
yes...the 1000 watt if installed correctly will read bottom in almost twice the depth of the 600 watt. it will also read better at speed. the key is getting a great install.....rick

·
Registered
126 Posts
Contact RSNAP

send RSNAP a pm, Rik will give you best heads up on this subject. Especially for running at speed w/ best readings. Worth a trip w/ him as well.
Good luck,
Gig Em

·
Registered
589 Posts
after you get the 1000watt transducer make sure to upgrade
your sonar processor to the latest one DSM-400

mine is a 1000w with DSM-300

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all your help. Now I have to figure out whether to drill another hole or some how remove the existing old fairing block.

·
Goin' South
833 Posts
Thanks guys for all your help. Now I have to figure out whether to drill another hole or some how remove the existing old fairing block.
If you have a fairing block you already had a through hull, not a shoot through. Either way, look at the 1000w Airmar with a tilted element several to choose from. They mount flush to the hull can ride on a trailer bunk if nec.

Mine reads 900 feet on plane and can see 1800 with no problem.

Will not do much for your marlin fishing but should help with the swords and bottom fish.

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,273 Posts
Need some help on choosing a Raymarine transducer if anyone can provide their opinion.

I'm upgrading from the 600watt in-hull transducer (the one that shoots thru the hull)

Any suggestions or opinions is much appreciated!

James
Yes, theres a big difference in my opinon (night/day almost)

Heres choices I would look at if I were getting a 1k for my C80 and had a big boat like yours.

B164

SS264N theres also a SS264W wide version of the same thing just a wider beam.

Those are flat thru hulls where there is no faring block needed, but, you do have to drill a substantial size hole tho...

Next would be the shoot thru hull 1K
M260

And last choice would be a 1K transom mount. This one will probably work on a small twin engine boat like I have. Also very affordable..
TM260 Its my understanding that its the same ducer at the M260 shoot thru hull, just made as a transom mount... They all make it in a wide beam as the 264's above

Theres also a TM258 1k transom mount, I dont know what the difference is between it and the 260. I would have to read more..

If I had the boat and unit you have, I would look strongly at one of the 264's mentioned above..

Just My opinion,,,

Good Luck in which ever one you choose... Be sure and give us a report about it...

Hog

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
I am going to ask yall a question regarding different power ratings of transducers. How does a 1000 watt transducer help out or do a better job if it is hooked to say a 500 watt machine ?? It doesent increase the power output from the machine. Is it a more efficient ducer ?. The transducers and basically just an antenna for the bottom machine..The power rating on transducers is there so you dont smoke them by putting too much power into them. A 500 watt transducer will not handle the power from a 1000 watt machine. Enlighten me my friends.

Charlie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts