2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the boat out this weekend and depth finder would not read. The only message on the depth finder was "0.00". Then it would start working and there were holes on the bottom, the scrolling was intermittent, then would lock and go back to 0.00. I tried reconnecting unit to DCM, reseting DCM, and adjusting gain.

When it was working, the bottom didnt look right. I am going to clean the connections at battery and check cords. Any suggestions?

It worked fine the last time i used it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Transducer?

Is the transducer shoot through the hull or transom mounted? If its on the transom, is it still level (might have hit something or moved it)?

·
Come Buzz Me Ms. Blue
3,692 Posts
Sounds like the sounder box is going out. Mine did that too before it bit the dust and I had to replace it. Did it get wet or damp the last time you used it? You'll find it inline between the screen and actual transducer.
Here's a way I tested mine. With the boat pulled out of water turn the depth finder on and go check the transducer. You should here faint "clicks" coming from it. If you don't hear the clicks then something is wrong with the sounder module or the transducer. Like you said, check the easy stuff first. Connections and grounds... If your cords, power, and grounds are secure and not corroded you have a problem (most likely from the sounder module). Reseting it helps but if it repeats the problem then you most likely have a problem with your sounder module "box". Mind kept jamming up and I had to reset it... a lot... Replaced it and it fixed the problems. Good luck troubleshooting.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i cleaned the battery terminals, checking the power, and reset it. Ill check for the clicking sounds right now. I need to find the card auxillary to update the unit.

thank you VERY much for the help.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
checked everything and nothing. still doing the same. I want to buy a new dsm 300 but how do I know this is the fix?

·
No fish in West Bay
5,634 Posts
Some of the older Raymarine units had issues (those prior to FLIR buying the company). If you've tried to update software and have felt for the clicks on the transducer and got nothing, you're pretty much left with the sonar black box. Buy it from a big retailer like West, carefully unpack and save packaging. Hook it up but don't mount it, then test. If it works, yay! Mount it and fish on. If not, package it back up and take it back. Replace with Furuno or Simrad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts