2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this a discontinued unit but does anyone have any experience with one??? Is it any good???

I've found one, new in box, at Cabela's and can get it for $200. Raymarine website shows it MSRP for $1010.

Any feed back is appreciated.

·
Registered
548 Posts
It's got the same digital FF technology as their blackbox units (DSM-300) except it is a 600w unit. It is a good ff, large screen has enough resolution to mars fish and bottom structure well. Best results are achieved by turning the ping rate down (Rik J tip). The early units had an issue with screen fogging, but that shoulld be resolved by now. $200 is a steal.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it. Figured there was no way to even buy a used one for this. Actual price was $214.11. It's missing the power lead but I'll order one from RM. It has a MFG date of 2006 so I guess it's been sitting around on a shelf in Cabela's. It certainly hasn't been mounted on anything. I hooked it up to a 12v battery (borrowed lead from another unit) and ran in Sim. mode. Everything seems to work great.

Now got to get to mounting.

Here's another question. Current unit is a Lowrance LMS-240 GPS/Chartplotter/Fishfinder. Should I pull the transducer and use it as a GPS/Chartplotter or leave the 'ducer and use both the Lowrance and Raymarine? I'll eventually replace the Lowrance with a Raymarine plotter that's compatible with this FF. What say all ye more experienced dudes?

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CLVL,
Thanks for the info.....anyone else got anything helpful? I've never used RM products so any info is good info. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The RM 600 is a standalone FF - it will not integrate with other RM units.

I'd keep the Lowrance for the chartplotter and backup FF. You can run both FF at the same time, but not on the same frequency (run one on 50 and the other on 200 Hz).

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm....according to the owner's manual you can plug the NMEA into a chartplotter and import Lat/Lon, speed, compass and waypoints to this FF. My plan is buy a RM chartplotter and use the two together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts