2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dog Got Bit By A Rattler Tonight. I Took Her To The Vet, $1000 Later They Are Going To Take Care Of Her I Can Go Pick Her Up Sunday. They Are Giving Her Anti-venom,all Kinds Of Pain Medicine, Iv Etc.
The Question- Is The Snake Bite That Bad For A Dog -she Got Bit In The Mouth, As In Death And Is There A Vaccine I Can Buy For Her And Would She Be Able To Fight On Her Own. She Is A Border Collie Austie Mix So I Don't Think She Is Going To Try To Kiss A Snake Again But Know My Wife Does Not Want Me To Take Her To The Pasture Anymore. My Dog Loves To Go Fishing And Loves To Go To The Pasture.

Is This A Normal Price To Pay Or Is This High.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Bite

Vets are very EXPENSIVE,but it is amazing what you will do for your four legged friend.Wish her the best of luck and keep taking her with you.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dog getting bit.
$1000 seems high to me. Hard to guess because I don't know the dogs condition.
I think it's rare for a dog to die from a snake bite, they get bit all the time...most swell up and hurt for a long time. I think about 3 or 4 dogs from people on the board get bit every year and I have not heard of any of them passing on.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
My FIL dog got bit in the face and took her to the vet. They did not give anti-venom and the bill was $700. I told him that was about stupid. Heck, the dog could have stayed at home. She ended up working her way through it and survived.

·
Registered
147 Posts
bill said:
Sorry to hear about your dog getting bit.
$1000 seems high to me. Hard to guess because I don't know the dogs condition.
I think it's rare for a dog to die from a snake bite, they get bit all the time...most swell up and hurt for a long time. I think about 3 or 4 dogs from people on the board get bit every year and I have not heard of any of them passing on.
$1000 is cheap to keep your dog alive if he was really in need of vet care....and I have personally seen more than one pointer die from a rattlesnake bite.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Have Been Doing Reserach On The Net It Appears It All Depends On The Amount Of Venom The Snake Decides To Inject Adn The Size Of The Dog.

·
Registered Somewhere
5,635 Posts
BALZTOWAL said:
I Have Been Doing Reserach On The Net It Appears It All Depends On The Amount Of Venom The Snake Decides To Inject Adn The Size Of The Dog.
Now all you gotta do is ask the snake what size dose was given to your dog.

Seriously, dogs can and do die from snake bites. As as you have found, it depends on the amount of venom was injected. To some people $1000.00 to have peace of mind that a dog is having all that can be done to save it, is too much. To others it is well worth it. Depends on your nature. I fall into the second catagory. Dog or Cat. I will scape up the money and do with out to save one of my pets. Or at least I did when I had some. I deny myself of that pleasure since my last one died of old age. I just can't stand it. I am an old softy for sure. Not sure I would spend that kind of money on many of the people I run into however.

·
Registered
147 Posts
the worst one I saw got bitten swelled up about as big as a cantaloupe under the eye/bridge of nose...it was not pretty. Never saw the snake. Straight to the vet and the dog did not make it through the night.

I agree the amt of venom is what determines fate.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Over a period of 3-4 decades, I`ve only had 5 dogs that were snake bit. None of the dogs died as a result but one of them was pretty sick for about a week and his neck was swollen something terrible. But, I doubt it was from a rattler unless it was what Dad called a "ground rattler" which was a small snake. Anyway, if it meant life or death to any of my present dogs, I would not hesitate to spend a grand providing I had the money.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Snakebite

Have your dog desnaked, this usually cost around $50.00. A few of the trainers around town can do this for you or at least point you in the direction of someone that can. Sure beats a $1000.00 vet bill.

·
www.crittergitters.net
1,896 Posts
$1000 for your little buddies life is well worth it.I had a pit that loved me and my family she walked in front of us all the time.Once she had to get to the back yard before my kids could go out and play .I thought she was crazy,but she found a nest of baby Water Mocasin(sp) under the shed by there swing and she was struck in the eye and around it,but she killed everyone before I could get there.She passed away.After $500.00 it went to here optic nerve and she passed and it was still worth tring to save her and I will do it again if needed.

Sorry not tring to steal your thread just my 2 cents on the subject.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as a $1000 was not worth saving your pet. I was just saying, it seems high but I didn't know the condition of your dog or what treatment he/she was receiving.

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,909 Posts
It seems most dogs learn about snakes after being bit, and some can even sense a poisonous one versus non-poisonous. I have heard that de-snaking really works, and would do that in your case.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bill, That's What I Was Worried About Was Being Taken Advantage Of Because Of The Situation And Being 10:30 At Night, The Dog's Face Starting To Swell, Her Eyes Looking Like She Was Having The Worst Day Ever And My Wife And Me Looking Pretty Worried,and We Don't Have Kids So She Is A Sub For Now , I Didn't Hesitate To Pay

·
Banned
579 Posts
I would pay whatever is necessary

to save one of my pets. That said, my Jack Russell was bitten by a copperhead week before last and was on sick little fellow for a couple of days. We took him to the vet and they treated him with antibiotics and and pain medication.

As a kid growing up in Georgia my father, an avid hunter, kept dogs for quail hunting, beagles for rabbit hunting and **** hounds for **** hunting. We generally had around 25-30 dogs at any one time. While the beagles and **** hounds rarely got struck by snakes, it seemed the bird dogs all got hit at one time or another. We had 800 acres in South Georgia cultivated specifically for quail and hunted there a lot. Early in bird season snakes were still out and the young dogs all seemed to get bitten once. Never more than once however as they learned to leave them alone.

One of my uncles was a vet and he said most of the time the rattlers' would striking as a defensive measure and did not release venom or at least not much. The dogs would swell up as big as a basketball and be sick for a week or so and then get well. Very rarely did one die but it did kill one from time to time. Most of these strikes were from what we called "sand ratters" which were never more than 12-14 inches although we also had dogs get bitten by timber and diamond back rattlers as wel. It didn't seem to make any difference what kind of snake bit them, they rarely died from it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ask this...

Was it your vet or an Animal ER ? If ER then 1000.00 is normal. Heck I just posted about my Irish Setter and we are up to about 3000.00 with her but I am one who will start selling stuff off if it meant it would save my dogs life!

Stacy

·
Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me!
234 Posts
Rattlesnake Vaccine

It's a little late now, but you should consider vaccinating your dog against rattlesnake bites. It's the cheapest way to go. There's a company out of California (Red Rock Biologics) making a rattlesnake vaccine. It's administered by vetrinarians. Call around for pricing, though. I've seen the pricing range all over the board. Some charge for the visit ($20 or $30), then charge for the vaccine ($30 to $50). If you live in Houston, the cheapest place I've found, which coincidenally happened to be one of the closest, was Spencer Animal Hospital in Pasadena (281.476.0066). As I recall, their total price was around $20.

The vaccination is effective against rattlesnakes and I think some coverage for copper heads, but not for water moccasin bites. My pointer got bitten last summer, but he was in the field and I did't get to see what kind of snake it was. I think it was a water moccasin, based on where we were. It cost me about $1000 at the emergency clinic, and the follow up at Spencer was about another $600. The fang holes were about 3/4" apart, and immediately the wounds turned purple like blueberry juice. The emergency clinic gave him rattlesnake antivenom to the tune of about $800 per vial. They said that was all that was in stock in Houston. Spencer kept him for a few more days and kept him loaded up with antibiotics. He got hit in the chest right at his heart, and his whole chest swelled up like a sopapia.

I spent A LOT OF PHONE TIME talking with the gurus at Red Rock during the whole ordeal. The vaccination consists of an initial injection, and a booster after 30 days. During the initial 30 days and before the booster, there is no coverage against the bite. So you want to time it a month before he's going afield. Most vets are under the impression that an annual booster is required, and Red Rock's published data may even support this. However, Red Rock told me that, in areas where there is no hard winter and long hibernation, such as South Texas, they recommend putting your dog on a 6 month rotation. I give my dog a shot at around the first of September. Quail season starts around Halloween, but he likes to retrieve and I sometimes take him with me on dove hunts. Quail season ends at the end of February, but in South Texas we had warm weather last year by mid february and saw plenty of snakes the last 2 weeks of the season, so I try to boost him again at about the first of February.

He's also been snake trained. Cost of that was about $35. He was trained at 15 months, and it was WELL WORTH THE MONEY. He's seen snakes afield, and you know by watching him when he's on a snake. He gets into reverse real fast with his head locked onto the snake. I'm going to give him a refresher on August 18th. If he sees the snake, he knows to stay away. The one that got him last year hit him while he was on a dead run in some flooded grass, and I think he was on it before he ever saw it. If your in Houston, there's spposed to be a snake clinic on August 18 & 19th. The number is 713.412.4957. There's also a guy in Navasota that can do it. He's at 936.894-1905. With all the time ad training i have in my dog, I'm in a "belt and suspenders" frame of mind when it comes to snakes. Less is not best. However, the de-snaking is something I'll probably only do one more time. The pros say that once they learn it real well it satys with them.

Bottom line is that if your dog did't die within the first 24 or 48 hours, he probably won't. Rattlesnake venom is a hemotoxin, which makes the blod clot. I know of one dog that had been vaccinated and took a direct hit in the heart. He died in a few hours. Obvioulsy the further away he was bitten from an artery, such as in the lip, the least he will be affected.

Hope this helps. Good luck with it. If you're a dog lover, it's never easy to see them hurting.

Cap'n

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nikki Is Back Home And Doing Fine. Money Well-spent But I Probably Will Do The Desnake Training And Gthe Vaccine, I Have Decided That I Will Continue To Take Her Outdoors B/c That's Where She Belongs, Thanks Everybody

·
See ya on the flats!
1,840 Posts
I have my dog de-snaked twice a year...plus the anti-venom shots once a year. If it was just a water moc I would tell you to just give benadryl (Spl??).

FYI...if you have your dog de-snaked...that is something that you have to have re-done over and over so that the dog remembers. Dog's are like people...if things aren't continously reminded they will forget.

Check out www.snakebreaker.com

Late,
Cox

1 - 20 of 49 Posts