2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ShallowSport - 24 Mod V
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new 24' class bay boat. I have looked at the Skeeter, Everglades, Pathfinder, etc., and I have narrowed it down to either the Ranger or Champion.

I was hoping for some additional feedback on the ride if you are familiar with either and especially if you have been onboard both. Notation of any associations you may have with either company would be appreciated if you respond.

Ride (in chop and wetness) is a concern so please provide any feedback thereof if possible. Additionally, comments about the chines would be encouraged; at first glance, the Champion appears a better ride. Any other pros/cons would be appreciated.

I intend to use the boat in the following manner:
90% Bay use
5% close offshore
5% Bass

I am stepping up from a 2001 Kenner 22' Vision if that helps.
Thanks in advance!

·
Thank You! Next
7,757 Posts
Champion , Hands down, If speed and dryness are important. I have rode and driven both boats, They both are well made boats , but the Champion will outperform and is 3 times more dry than the Ranger. I owned a Ranger back when, and have friends who still do..My family has had no less than 3 Champions for a reason! With a 250 4 stroke Yamaha that 24' Champ ought to run on GPS 54 mph. On a good day the Ranger may run 47-49 MAYBE . Just my 2 cents as you requested, Champions have always been Dry boats. Both are Very well made, With probably the latter going to Ranger .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Kenner23

Why don't you just move up to a Kenner 23? Put a 250 Opti on the back........go offshore, runs in lakes and bays, and still bass fish. Dry ride, also. Just my opinion.

BD

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,547 Posts
ineedtofish made a good suggestion before you buy either of the two choices you gave us.

I haven't ridden in a Shearwater yet, but I've been hearing nothing but good stuff about their 24' boat.

With so many different boats for different applications out there, the choice can be a hard one so make sure you look at everything that is offered so that in a month or so after purchase you don't say, "oops, darn."

TH

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I own a Ranger Bay, great boat. Spend most of my time at the short rigs off Louisiana and the Sabine Jetty. I have made a few offshore ventures with no problems, just keep an eye on the weather. I was in the same market you were when I found this one. Travis Marine had lost their Ranger dealership and they were dumping them, you don't want to know what I paid, talk about markups!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
boatdriver said:
Why don't you just move up to a Kenner 23? Put a 250 Opti on the back........go offshore, runs in lakes and bays, and still bass fish. Dry ride, also. Just my opinion.

BD
I agree. That set-up would get you 60+ mph easy. It also floats very shallow for a big boat, too.

·
ShallowSport - 24 Mod V
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, thanks for the responses.

I have looked at the Shearwater 24'ers and don't like the layouts as well as the Ranger and Champion - outside they are beautiful and I know a lot of tourney guys swear by these boats. I'm just not feeling it. I have really looked at everything in this class and am narrowed to the Champion and the Ranger. For varying reasons, including those I can't explain, like how I feel when I am standing at the helm (lol). There are about seven boats that would meet my minimum criteria; these two boats meet all the rest, including intangibles that I can't explain.

With that, I would like more feedback about either of these two boats specifically.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Awesome boat

Havens, that is one hell of a boat. Like Marky Mark said, excellent engine chioce. Gotta love that power!!

Back to the discussion at hand........Ranger or Champion. I see a lot more champions on Lake Calcasieu than Rangers. The Rangers that I do see have TX numbers on them. This is to the owners of Rangers and Champions; do those boats ride well in 3-4 seas? The keels don't look that deep, so I was just wondering. Looks like they would ride as smooth as a Skeeter, which isn't smooth at all.

BD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts