2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been teaching myself how to fly helicopters for the last year. Needless to say I have a pile of crashed choppers and radios. I want to by myself a new radio for Christmas. That way I can bind and fly instead of a new radio with each chopper. Does anyone have any thought on a radio that I can continue to grow with? Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Gary. I bought the G4 Real Flight simulator a few months back . I do enjoy the sim but the feeling is just not the same as flying the real deal. The sim did pay for itself in about 30 minutes. I really have no idea how many channels I need. I am just tired of getting a new radio each time I buy a new heilo. Do you think the 7 channel will be sufficient for the time being? The most channels I have had is 4.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Speaking from airplane experience only.....

Sorry Gary, but you are wrong. DX7 is not the best, far from it, and 7 channels is not enough for almost every plane, especially when your radio is lacking other features, most importantly mixing options. The DX7 is maybe one step above entry level, it is not something you can grow into. I am not saying it is a bad radio, just limited, and over-priced for what it is. Not to mention Horizon's customer support is "iffy" at best.

My suggestion, the Hitec Aurora 9. This is the only radio I would even consider buying right now in the under $500 market, and maybe even the under $1000 market, because feature-wise it is right up there with the $1000 systems, and even has some really nice features those $1000 systems don't have. It has 10 times the features of a DX7, and and is only slightly more expensive. If you are a really smart shopper you can actually get it cheaper than a DX7, and, until the end of March the A9 comes with a coupon for an additional receiver for free, and an option to buy another for $40. That means this radio can be had for less than $400 shipped, with 3 receivers.

I will be getting mine very soon. :biggrin:

I am not sure about compatibility with some bind n fly systems though, you may want to look into that. I wouldn't be surprised if it is not compatible with Horizon (JR/Spektrum) products.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Every radio should come with DR's IMO.

I have a couple of radios for sale Gary. I have a Futaba 6EX PCM, and a JR X-378. (X-378 same as DX7 but better looking and PCM not 2.4). Both are in excellent condition and work perfectly. The X-378 is a slightly better radio I think, but the Futaba comes with several rx's. The JR only comes with one rx. $100 each.

·
US Army Aviation NSDQ!
3,750 Posts
Speaking from airplane experience only.....

Sorry Gary, but you are wrong. DX7 is not the best, far from it, and 7 channels is not enough for almost every plane, especially when your radio is lacking other features, most importantly mixing options. The DX7 is maybe one step above entry level, it is not something you can grow into. I am not saying it is a bad radio, just limited, and over-priced for what it is. Not to mention Horizon's customer support is "iffy" at best.

My suggestion, the Hitec Aurora 9. This is the only radio I would even consider buying right now in the under $500 market, and maybe even the under $1000 market, because feature-wise it is right up there with the $1000 systems, and even has some really nice features those $1000 systems don't have. It has 10 times the features of a DX7, and and is only slightly more expensive. If you are a really smart shopper you can actually get it cheaper than a DX7, and, until the end of March the A9 comes with a coupon for an additional receiver for free, and an option to buy another for $40. That means this radio can be had for less than $400 shipped, with 3 receivers.

I will be getting mine very soon. :biggrin:

I am not sure about compatibility with some bind n fly systems though, you may want to look into that. I wouldn't be surprised if it is not compatible with Horizon (JR/Spektrum) products.
I would agree with you on the Hitec...but your underselling the DX7. Its a great radio, will cover 95% airplanes you will normally, has plenty of mixing options, and will cover just about every heli out there. Now, if your flying giant scale, the DX7 isnt your radio, but I would be looking for a much higher end radio to put into a plane like that to begin with.

Like I said though, great suggestion on the Hitec. I have always loved their radios, they have awesome prices, features, functions and style. Unfortunately you don't see much of them around, or being sold locally(I believe I've seen them at larry's??)

Looking for a great radio for the every day flyer? Hitec Aurora or DX7 is a great choice, either or.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts