2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Lowrance 332C and I am adding a Uniden UM525 VHF to the console.
Unlike most installation I actually read and followed the instructions.

But I can't seem to get the GPS to talk to the radio or the radio to recv the GPS data. Any suggestions.

Thanks in Advance.

·
88 Ag
6,223 Posts
I am not sure I understand your question exactly. Why would your VHF be linked or communicate with your GPS? At least that's how I read your question. If your wondering why the VHF might not come on, I had the problem with mine once and found out that if the battery wasn't charged to at least 11 volts (maybe it was 10 volts) it wouldn't work. As far as the new digital VHF's I am not exactly sure about them. Someone else will probably chime in with the answer. You might try and pm jtburf.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The radio and the Gps work great but the radio does not recv. the coordinates from the gps as it should.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,149 Posts
Did you configure the Lowrance to send the data????

Read page 151/152 of your manual.

Did you wire it correctly?

The out's goes to the in's and vice versa...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks John, I have configured it correctly and now that I know not to use the sheild as a the ground. I should have it fixed. Iwill pull it out of my shop and check it this afternoon. I can't get a signal to the gps inside.the dad blam manuals are a liitle vague if you are not familiar with all the terminology.

Tight lines

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got it will post up the details in the am.

Thanks to all the suggetions got the brain working in another direction.
You have to configure the gps one step futher than the manuals state.

Tight lines to all.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Can you educate me (and probably others) as to the advantages of this? I have heard about this before, but don't remember the application. Sounds neat I guess.

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts
I think the new-fangled VHF's will transmit your signal when you want to send out a distress message.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your radio is tied to you gps then if something happens and the other folks on board don't savey the #'s to be able to give the Boys in Red locations all you have to do is push the distress button. It will automatically give the Coasties your location, provided your radio has the "OH S--T button" on it.

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
I have that option and I even registered my numbers but I never connected the wires. I guess it would be better than nothing, but it seems that, with the limited range you have while transmitting, if you were in that dire of a strait, you wouldn't be close enough to the USSG to make a difference. I have also read reports that say the USCG gets many bogus signals from new users who's kids or friends are playing with the radio.

I do think it would be cool to send your location to another boat, like a buddy boat or something, so that you appear on their GPS. I might hook mine up, but how do you test it without sending a distress signal?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts