2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone was so helpful with the kicker question, I thought I would try to get a little info on a radar for my father-n-laws boat..

1. He has decided to go w/a Furuno radar. Either the 1715(mono) or the 1723 (Color). Is there much advantage going w/color? He was also curious if you could see thunderstoms with a low end color unit like this.

2. Where is the best place to buy one of these units in the Clear Lake area?

Thank for helping a couple of bay guys try to prepare for deeper water. It has been many years since either of us has fished offshore regularly. The water hasn't changed much, but the toys have.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Color for sure. Consumer Marine Electronics, Three Rivers, or Broken Leg David. If you buy local, ask for a kiss first.

·
Reel Gambler
3,748 Posts
I'm not familar with those models, but I wouldn't buy any unit less than 2KV/24nmiles. I have a Sitex and it works great for a non-color model. I can see though storms and into fog very well. The model I have is older, so I'm sure the newer stuff should work well too.

Personally I don't think color is necessary, nice but not necessary.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Radar

I have a Simrad RA 42 for sale. The display is a mono lcd with different grey scales. Works really well as all Simrad's do.
I have access to a 48 mile open array for it or you can buy a raydome forom Derek at Breakwater. I can get you a deal on one.
I have the Simrad display priced VERY right.
The unit is 2 years old, came of my Cabo in lieu of a color Simrad.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,045 Posts
Hey dredge, I can get you a good deal on a new unit (better than the online places Ernest mentioned though they are all good outfits). Send me a PM if you're interested and we can discuss price.

Oh, and the only thing I've ever regretted about any of my marine electronics is not buying color. If you can afford it, its the only way to go. Will definitely help with deteriming what targets are in fog or darkness. It should also help to determine the strength of a storm.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Very displeased on two separate occassions with the service at Breakwater (Spring 2003, and then three weeks ago). False information provided to me repeatedly, given the run around, and left high and dry.

I think they will say almost anything over the phone to get you into their store. Then they claim that they are not responsible for what their representative promises you over the phone. I would never do business with them again.

·
Banned
723 Posts
Breakwater

They are not perfect but do a great job, lots of varibles in marine electronics even the factory techs get it wrong sometimes. Breakwater has on many occasions lent me replacement equipment when my had failed (another good reason to buy it there). I usually ask only John or Derek tech questions. I love my new nav net stuff from Furuno and we just about got all the bugs out of the new furuno pilot. Those guys get slammed 4 months out of the year and do thier best to make you happy. My rating on Breakwater is thumbs up! Capt. Scott Hickman www.circleh.org

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
get the unit you want at the best price and install it your self. radar is a pretty simple install. mine was a radar dome and it took 2 hours of my time and it was done. transfered the unit to my current boat in less time. i am no elctronics wizard and it was a no brainer. i side with ernest on electronics dealer in webster. pm me if you want the details...rick

·
Just one More
1,742 Posts
I agree with Captn C and mcgolfer, Get the display you want but don't get a unit less than 2KV/24nmiles (raydome or open array). Radars use line of sight much like your VHF. The higher the antenna the further you'll see. If you’re like most it will be mounted 7' to 9' above the water. This will allow you to see 8-12 miles if the object is at sea level. The reason for 2k or greater is to be able to see though rain and fog at a distance. Good luck!

Jason

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Dredge

Get a color machine and get it from Dorsey electronics if you want good service. They are a bit higher than the volume dealers but much beter personal service.

charlie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts