2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever used a green light at night in the surf? i think i have a way to rig it up and set it , and it sounds like a good idea , just wondering if any of yall have tryed it?

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
In the early 80's I used to use lights on my jonboat in the surf.I ran them off batteries. We would launch on the beach by Rollover Pass.......I called it the aquarium. Used to load the boat up with big trout and bull reds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the comment.

I think I am gonna give it a shot this evening , I can float a tube with cooler and battery in it. then hang the light from there , I think. worth a shot. it is a 4ft green tube light. Hopefully I will clean house. I will let you know in the a.m.

·
ShallowSport - 24 Mod V
284 Posts
Sharks love lights and feed hardcore at night. j/k
Have fun. :)

·
Borders, language, culture
6,344 Posts
Yeah, let us know what happens. I've thought about doing that many times. No need to go out further than the first gut. I wouldn't get over shin deep to cast because of sharks. I've seen sharks at night chasing bait up close to dry land.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
we set up the stage lights on the beach, and have good luck with them, if you back your truck up, use a piece of pvc pipe to make yourself a pole for the light and point it on the first gut, ig you can find a wash between the guts set up here . We used to fish from the old broken down pier on the beach(where the road from winnie hits the old road going to pt author) all the way to sargent

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not much luck

Gave it a shot last night and didnt do so hot , fished galveston beach access 12 from 10-12pm water was a bit murky and only managed a few hard heads on shrimp a two big tugs on live mullet, but didn't suck the hook down with them. Then went down to the surfside jetty and water was crystal clear. Waded about about 3 1/2 feet deep and set the light. Got pole ready and bam first cast 18 inch trout. And then nothing ,lol. Not another single trout for 2 hours a couple hardheads and crabs. So we packed it in. Man there are a lot of crabs down there and they LOVE toes. The light was definately working , there were bait fish just swarming it in both galveston and surfside there were even a few squid swimming around it in surfside. Guess the trout were playing somewhere else . Water sure did feel great though. Will definately try it again soon.

·
Registered
604 Posts
i know a guy that has a set of lights on a rolling cart with a generator and he fishes off the jetties with live bait usually and produces alot of fish that way but i have never fished with him personally but know its got to be better than day time fishing in a heart beat because of the bait

1 - 9 of 9 Posts