2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a new boat and was going to take it out this evening. I am a new boat owner so I know nothing about they bay. I was thinking about putting in at april fools or fat boys. Can anyone give me some suggestion on where to go or anything I should be careful about? I would just like to catch a few fish for supper not wanting anyones secrets spots. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

aggiefisher

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't own a boat but i have been ou\t on a few. If you launch at Fat Boy's please take notice of all the reefs that are above and BELOW the water level. It will ruin your day to take out your lower end on your virgin trip/, Drive straight across west bay from Fat Boys and fish the entrance to the diversionary canal. We have caught a good mess of convicts, trout and a few reds at the entrance to it. Good luck and be sure to yankem and bankem, Later LL

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Goodness. First time out you berst stick to deep safe waters. The west bay complex is a hell hole if you don't know it. !!

·
Banned
144 Posts
lowestleveler said:
Drive straight across west bay from Fat Boys
sorry, but arnt you referring to jone's lake? im just makin sure i is follwin you on this one

also to get to the diversionary canal, i would launch at louis.... and go south through the marsh to get there.

·
One day at a time!!
812 Posts
Wading Mark said:
Suzukis are very nice. My only concern with having them on a bay/flats boat would be the weight.
:question::question::question::question::question::question::question:
Think you might have posted on the wrong thread:D...Or am I missing something here.

Back to the original question....Best thing to do is get you a couple of maps that show the depths and stay where your boat can handle. As for areas of west bay there are a lot, Green's Cut and Lake, Confederate, the south shoreline is always a good choice. Lots of spots to choose from. Look at a map and pick a couple of spots to head to and fish them, then pick a couple more spots and head there. After a while you will begin to learn the bay as well as where the fish are. Another option is to hire a guide to show you around.

·
Haynie HO/Merc ProXS
797 Posts
Aggiefisher, you are in deep trouble and have two things against you if you go to West Bay. #1, you are an Aggie and #2, West Bay is full of surprises. LOL. Just kidding on the Aggie part. I would go with Texas City **** as suggested, deep and safe. I put my boat on two reefs in West Bay before I learned it and I am not an Aggie. LOL. If you have a good GPS with nav software it will save you allot of heartache. If you do not have one, buy a good Garmin and it will be the best investment you will make on your new boat. IMHO. It will show you all the things to look out for and it will help with the fish production. Good luck and if you need some help learning West Bay, give me a call. I know where two of the reefs are for sure. LOL

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Go Slow!!

Our Motto is ,, " If ya dont know, go slow " Ya cant tear anything up that way, plus yourself man. I definately remember those days of getting started out. I've landed on many of sandbars, oyster reefs, T-post, you name it I've hit it but hey ya gotta learn, just dont get too comfortable out there because things always change. I grew up fishing East Matagorda, there are some boogers out there, "trust me". We eventually shifted to West Matagorda, and found many more boogers. Stick to one bay, learn it, live it , breathe it, then go to the next. Good Luck Man!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts