2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've pretty much decided on what boat i want to buy so now I want to make sure I'm getting the best deal.

How much off of the stated price should i expect the dealers to come?

If I am buying a boat that is 24900 and this is the price i was quoted....how much should i expect them to be able to go?

Also is it realistic to ask for a trolling motor and/or a GPS to be included in the purchase? Is it even worth asking for this?

Bought cars in the past and know that they have quite a bit of wiggle room in their price and usually you can get them down about 10-15% off of the stated price. Is it the same with boats?

Also are there any final questions that I could ask to make sure I am comfortable with the purchase.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I would think you could get 10-15% off the top, there is some room. How much will depend on the model, and dealer you are working with, time of year, factory incentives. Don't let them tell you there is no room to bargain.

·
Maker of laser engraved switch panels
3,766 Posts
It is a buyer's market. If you want what they have, you should be able to get a great deal. Boats are luxury items and carry large profit margins. Look online and see what other dealers are offering on the same type of boat. Don't be afraid to offer a low dollar offer. Dealer's have product that they cannot sell and it is costing them money sitting on the sales floor. Some will sell at a loss.

The best deal gives the dealer some profit and you a low purchase price. Remember, if the dealer doesn't make money, he will not be here tomorrow to service your needs.

Shop around, and see what is available nationwide. That will give you a better idea of current pricing. You will not get a good deal if you don't ask for one. The dealer needs to sell, you don't need to buy. Make an offer, all they can say is no. Don't expect to make the offer and drive home with the boat for the best deal in 1 hour. Negotiation takes time. Don't be afraid to say no when the dealer makes you an bad counter offer.

Sometimes when a dealer will not move much on price, you need to ask for lots of extras and may not be able to work out a good deal with that particular dealer. Ask about mfg discounts, rebates, extended warranties, and other offers. Good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Boat Show

The 54th Annual Houston Boat Show is coming up.
My buddy and I bought a Hydrasport years ago at the show and remember we got a great deal and an extended warranty on the motor as well.

You may want to shop around and see if you can get a better deal there.
Runs January 8-17th at REliant Center.

http://www.houstonboatshows.com/

·
Banned
896 Posts
Deals

Best Deals? :texasflag

Do you really want a good deal on a boat?
Then consider buying factory direct from manufacturer,
rather than going to a Dealer Showroom.

All manufacturers do not sell to dealers.
They sell to buyer....... direct from the factory!!

Conceptually, a buyer should be able to
negotiate a better price and/or more boat ……directly from the manufacturer.

The reasons are there are no middleman costs with manufacturers.
The dealers have to have mark up for profit to stay in business.
Besides dealer mark up profit,
their middleman costs are sales commissions, showroom overhead,
marketing, administrative, taxes and boat show costs.
Someone has to pay for these costs and profit.
You will!

Therefore, it is more logical the BEST DEAL
would be buying factory direct from a manufacturer
to get a lower boat price and more boat for same buck.

Why pay for the middleman?
There are many fine Texas Boat Manufacturers that sell direct to you.

BUY LOCAL / BUY TEXAS :D

·
Banned
896 Posts
Shows

:texasflag
The 54th Annual Houston Boat Show is coming up.
My buddy and I bought a Hydrasport years ago at the show and remember we got a great deal and an extended warranty on the motor as well.

You may want to shop around and see if you can get a better deal there.
Runs January 8-17th at REliant Center.

http://www.houstonboatshows.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Not all Texas Manufacturers and Dealers will be in the Houston Show.
A lot of Boat Shows are controlled by a "local" members/dealers association.
Only members can display boats in the hall.
The Houston show is a for profit venture of the association.
The venture then only showcases boats sold by the "member" dealers.
All dealers to be a member have to be in defined
geographic Greater Houston area.
No OEM boat manufactures will be at show from Houston or outside Houston.
A manufacturer to have brand in show has to sell to HOUSTON dealer member
and dealer sells to public.
Therefore not all Texas Manufacturers
and or even Dealers will be in the Houston Show.

Therefore it is more logical the BEST DEAL

Why pay the middleman or for shows?
There are many fine Texas Boat Manufacturers that sell direct
without the costs,
and will not be there in show!

Factory Direct, Boat Shows, Dealers, Wholesalers and Brokers
are all part of the free enterprise system. Each has to have a pricing structure!
Some pricing is less than others.

BUY LOCAL / BUY TEXAS :texasflag

·
Banned
896 Posts
Some are:
SouthShore
Tran
Shoalwater

unless they have made dealer contracts.

Know SouthShore has not made dealer contracts.

·
Saved by the Grace of God
4,046 Posts
Best Deals? :texasflag

Do you really want a good deal on a boat?
Then consider buying factory direct from manufacturer,
rather than going to a Dealer Showroom.

All manufacturers do not sell to dealers.
They sell to buyer....... direct from the factory!!

Conceptually, a buyer should be able to
negotiate a better price and/or more boat ……directly from the manufacturer.

The reasons are there are no middleman costs with manufacturers.
The dealers have to have mark up for profit to stay in business.
Besides dealer mark up profit,
their middleman costs are sales commissions, showroom overhead,
marketing, administrative, taxes and boat show costs.
Someone has to pay for these costs and profit.
You will!

Therefore, it is more logical the BEST DEAL

Why pay for the middleman?
There are many fine Texas Boat Manufacturers that sell direct to you.

BUY LOCAL / BUY TEXAS :D
Yep, I agree. Not sure what boat manufactures will sell direct to you, but in this day and age of tough economic times, the buyers must get the best deals they can.

Now some will say that paying the extra several thousand dollars is worth it to have a dealer who will "put you in front of others" for service. I find this to be a moot point. 1) If you do the basic maintenance on your boat each time you get back from fishing and the yearly maintenance, then you will less likely to have problems. & 2) if the local dealers shop doesn't want to do warranty work or other work on your boat b/c you didn't buy their highly marked up boat, then they are loosing business. Furthermore, if they do that, just call the manufacture and tell them that one of their dealers is being a butthead and give them the details. The manufactures don't want dealers out there not servicing customers. It not only makes the dealer look bad, but the manufacture too!

Lastly, there will be some who will cry and say that boats aren't marked up very much. That is a big lie just to get people to "feel sorry" for them or to get people thinking they can't find better deals. The truth is they wouldn't be in business if they weren't making money. And they are making well over 20% on each boat at least.

We have been buying high prices items long enough. If they don't want to compete and come down on their high prices, then they will not be in business long. We all work hard for our money, why shouldn't they? It is the same as buying a car/truck. Whoever gives the best deal wins. Plain and simple.

Also, I had a local auto dealer try to give me the run around b/c I didn't purchase my truck from them. I saved about $3,000 by shopping around. When I needed warranty work, they said I wasn't a perferred customer b/c I didn't buy their over priced truck. After calling the manufacture help line, things moved along very well within 2 days. IT CAN BE DONE!

·
Tony
117 Posts
I am a boat dealer. alot of you seem to think that we work just like car dealerships and that is just not so. We are not GM or Ford. We do not work on 10-15 percent margins. As for (atcfisherman) I wold like to know which dealership or dealerships are selling boat at 20% and what proof you have for this great knowledge.

We always want to provied our coustomers with the best service posible. But it is true that there is alot of dealerships that do business in a way that if you do not buy the boat form that dealership will not push your boat up over a boat that was purchased there when it comes to service. As for warranty it is up to the dealership if they want to do the warranty or not the manufactures dont tell us how to run our bussiness and we dont tell them.

Buying direct would be great but all boat dealers have dealer contracts and there are not going to just sell one boat to a singel person when they have a dealer buying 500k to 1M in boats year after year.

In closing, WE ARE NOT LIKE CAR DEALERSHIPS. I wish we were so I could have got my bail out and all dealerships whould have had a better year. Please let me now if I can help anyone with a new boat. I will make you a deal that will be good for the both of us.

·
From Hope and Change 2 Dope and Strange
548 Posts
I know I was in the market for a 184 Ranger Ghost back in April. A local dealership would not come off that $34,900. price. I past on it and now I see it on there web site for $27,995. Tell me there's not s mark up? Come on. The dealers can sit on them high prices, they'll still be eating them at tax time.

·
Tony
117 Posts
It's because Ranger filed for chapter 11 and they will not be able to warranty any of those boats. So yes why not sell them even at a large lose. If you dont beleve me have you seen any 2010 Rangers out there yet. I have not.

·
548 Posts
I guess that same dealer has over 15 other boats and they are differtent brand of boats at a loss too on there web site. Compared to there prices back in April. I just got my financing thru my credit union; if I get the right deal, I'll be buying here soon. If I don't feel they'll work the price I'll sit a wait. Going to a dealer to work on purchasing a boat this weekend, if not there I'll be at the Houston Boat Show. But, Im at the stage; it's got to be a heck of a deal for me to turn loose that dollar.

·
Banned
896 Posts
Economy

I guess that same dealer has over 15 other boats and they are differtent brand of boats at a loss too on there web site. Compared to there prices back in April. I just got my financing thru my credit union; if I get the right deal, I'll be buying here soon. If I don't feel they'll work the price I'll sit a wait. Going to a dealer to work on purchasing a boat this weekend, if not there I'll be at the Houston Boat Show. But, Im at the stage; it's got to be a heck of a deal for me to turn loose that dollar.
In the marketplace today, there will always be special situations.
Just like this one.
Take advantage of it, if you are the buyer.

·
548 Posts
Im just tried of a dealer trying to defend a position on things when people are starting to wake up and not taking it up the back side anymore. It use to be a luxury item to own a boat and people just paid because thats way it was. People are waking up to the economy; not looking at it just for tomorrow but what next year brings too. I'm so tried every time something is brought up about a dealer or issue, "poor" sellman or dealership. Your taking food off the table. I'll pay my fair share for a product but don't try and feed me a line.
Example: "Oil Prices" Driven up boat prices. OMG Frieght charges. I can buy almost every part I need to rig a boat with free shipping. Just gotta look.
"Oil prices" and resin. What does it take to build a 18' flats style boat? 50 gallons at the most? Bulk price $10.00 a gallon? Thats $500.00.
I'll give them a "oil prices" mark up of 50% ; that's $15.00 a gallon and $750.00 @ 50 gallons. That $250.00 difference is what is driven the heck out of boat prices? Just wondering?
My numbers could be some what off, because I'm not a "boat builder of mass production". I have built a 18' boat in the back yard, don't feed me a line.

·
548 Posts
I do give that dealer BIG prop's. There one of the few that will atleast put the MSRP or the sales price on there site to let the consumer research it before having to deal with a salesman. Most dealers are to scare to list a price. Rather see what price they can get out of a buyer.

·
Tony
117 Posts
Well then it sound like you should just build another one. Because from the soud of it you can build for alot less. Sounds like you have all answers and prices on everything. but since you own your own dealership you would know more about all of this than me. I am not saying poor is me it is what it is. Im just trying to give you right information take it or leave it. I think you are a person that knows what he knows an no one will change your mind. Apparently some one had some bad experiences with boat dealers and now you want them to give you one kiss your a-- and say thank you for buying my boat. I feel sorry for the person that sells you that boat. you soud like a customer that it does not matter what you do for them they will never be happy then want it for free.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts