2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running them? Likes/Dislikes of the engine? Maintenance, those sorts of things. My wife, aka "The Finance Department", has finally given me the go ahead to buy a boat. Personally I think she agreed just so I would quit bugging her about it. Anyway the boat is a 21' Explorer TV with a Honda 150 on the back and will be used up and the Coast. I have ridden with Capt. Black and discussed in length with him and a few others about this hull and I like it. Was also on board the Don Coyote the day the "Perfect Storm" blew through Baffin. Man what a ride. What I don't know about is the Honda engine. I bought my wife a Honda CRV because of the outstanding service and quality of the vehicles. Is it safe to assume that also applies to their outboards? Thanks for the help.

Tod

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Got a 1997 Honda 90

and am well pleased with it. Runs very quiet, very economical and extremely dependable. I used to trade e-mail with a young man in Louisiana who had the same motor as mind. Being young and unmarried all he did was fish and work. He put over 300 hours on his in a little over 18 months. No mechanical problems--just change oil and maintenance. I once saw a posting on another board of a guy who ran a dive boat out of Hawaii w/ twin 90hp hondas. Had over 900 hours on them w/ no problems...just change oil & maintenance.

Without a doubt, you will hear complaints that "they're too heavy" and "four storkes won't last" and "four stokes don't have a decent hole shot". Check the specs and you'll find they are heavier BUT the 2 strokes often don't weight in the oil reservior as part of their weight (and they won't run w/o lots of oil).

In short, nothing is perfect. I like the reduced maintenance (no de-carboning every "x" period, no changing plugs every few months, no expensive special oil to use, etc). Spend your time fishing and not doing OB mechanic'ing! I firmly believe 4 stroke OBs are the future. Prop it right and your hole shot will be fine.

If you live in NW Houston, I'd be glad to see mine and hear it run.

Howard

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
Too Tall said:
Anybody running them? Likes/Dislikes of the engine? Maintenance, those sorts of things. My wife, aka "The Finance Department", has finally given me the go ahead to buy a boat. Personally I think she agreed just so I would quit bugging her about it. Anyway the boat is a 21' Explorer TV with a Honda 150 on the back and will be used up and the Coast. I have ridden with Capt. Black and discussed in length with him and a few others about this hull and I like it. Was also on board the Don Coyote the day the "Perfect Storm" blew through Baffin. Man what a ride. What I don't know about is the Honda engine. I bought my wife a Honda CRV because of the outstanding service and quality of the vehicles. Is it safe to assume that also applies to their outboards? Thanks for the help.

Tod
There was a problem with corrosion on the early ones in salt water, that problem may have been repaired.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,153 Posts
I have a Honda 200 on my Triton 2200 offshore.. Hole shot is strong and maintance is easy... No oil, no smell, no noise!!! keep the rpm's in the proper zone's you get great milage ... High Rpm's or WOT and she likes the fuel!!! I have just over 32 hours did the Crankcase oil and lower unit breakin oil at 20 hours and it only cost me 28.00 that's 8 Quarts of oil and Filter (8.00) ..and a quart of Merc lower unit oil... Ran off shore in hard and heavy sea's 3 week's ago ran over 80 miles and used about 32 gallons... If you have any questions just ask ...John

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys. That what I was wanting hear. My wife and I are going to test ride the boat on our way down to McAllen next weekend. I will get to experience it 1st hand then. I am not overly concerned with holeshot and top end speed but I will take the time to make sure it is propped right. Have it if I need it. Thanks Again,
Tod

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Great engines and very quiet, the 200's are sweeeet! Ran out of Venice on a Contender with twin 200's and they really were impressive. Just wonder who works on them?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts