2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am getting a new Laguna Rod, Merry Xmas to me from me, and now I am looking at gettting a new reel for it as well. I will be using the reel for wade fishing as well as drifting. I will be throwing plastics as well as possibly using a popping cork sometimes as well. I am looking at the following 3 reels and want some of your opinions.

1. Curado 200 E5 or E7
2. Chronarch 100
3. Core

I am torn as to which one to match up to my new rod and want your opinions, pros, cons of these reels.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't have the Core so can't help you there. I have both the Curado and the Chronarch and in all honesty I can't tell a huge difference in them. Both are GREAT reels and either will do what you are looking for. I alternate useing them each time I go fishing. Mostly wading with soft plastics.
For popping corks, I use my Garcia 5500C4. It's not a Shimano but for the price, it does a GREAT job with the heavier weight rig.
I use an ultra-light 6 1/2 ft rod with the Shimano's for wade fishing.
I use a little stiffer 7' rod with the popping cork set up.
I think you will find that works best.
Good luck. Hope that info helps.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
The 100 size reels will cast better than the 200 due to the lighter spool. If line capapcity is an issue then go with the 200. If you want the lightest possible set up go with the Core.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
For a popping cork setup, you might want to look at the Shimano Calcutta. They make 3 or 4 different sizes. If I had a few extra bucks, that's what I would get for popping corks. That reel and another G-Loomis rod would fix you up for a LONG time.
I personally don't think the low profile reels and the light rods work very well for the heavier popping cork rig. At least, I prefer the heavier bait casting rig for popping corks.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
if you use the core with a popping cork you will probably spool your reel,that might happen with all three.go with the 200.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You may also want to look at Abu Garcia Premier. It's the lightest reel on the market today, and cast really great especially when you are wade fishing and making several cast. The drag system is exceptional and I yet have had any problems with it. The reel is a bit pricy but if you are looking at a Shimano Core its in that price range.
I own several Shimano Curado reels but for some reason I can't put the Abu Garcia Premier down when I decide to go fishing. It's so lightweight that my arm doesn't tire out and the reel fits perfectly in your hand. If you get a chance check one out, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I was just at Academy and looked at the Core. NICE (but pricy for this poor boy). I'll stick with my Curados and Chronarchs of old days. They are still awesome and still catch fish!

·
But, I live in Bayou Vista!
1,629 Posts
The Core 50 is the sweetest reel available right now. If you are a little short on funds, the new Citica will perform as well and outlast reels from other sources that cost twice as much. The free spool system is just like the more expensive models, and they got all the right components right for corrosion resistance. They are a little heavier, but overall it is a nice little reel.

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate it. Looksl iek right now I am leaning towards the Curado or the Citica that Mike mentioned. Although, I will not know for sure what I am going to do until I walk out of the store with the reel. :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
You may also want to look at Abu Garcia Premier. It's the lightest reel on the market today, and cast really great especially when you are wade fishing and making several cast. The drag system is exceptional and I yet have had any problems with it. The reel is a bit pricy but if you are looking at a Shimano Core its in that price range.
I own several Shimano Curado reels but for some reason I can't put the Abu Garcia Premier down when I decide to go fishing. It's so lightweight that my arm doesn't tire out and the reel fits perfectly in your hand. If you get a chance check one out, you can't go wrong.
It's not the lightest reel on the market, the core is 6.1oz, and the premier is 6.7oz

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's not the lightest reel on the market, the core is 6.1oz, and the premier is 6.7oz
Thanks for that observation. The Premier is actually the lighest aluminum frame low profile reel on the market while the Core is the lighest magnesium frame low profile reel on the market.

I'm sure the Core is a quality reel as most Shimano products are on today's market. I just wanted to point out an alternative reel to the person posting on the board.

Again, thanks for the observation and good luck fishing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts