2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy gang-

I am looking for a bolt action .22. I want it for possum/armadillo population control around the house, plus to teach my son to shoot. Although I have shot several over the years, now that I am looking to buy, I realize I don't know squat about guns. Dad had a .22 Remington Sportster that we used to shoot a lot as kits. The clip was broke, so we just "hand loaded" one shell at a time - usually shooting shorts or "acorn caps"

Last week, I was in the Cabela's in Buda, and I stopped to look at .22's, and the guy behind the counter gave me an earful about how dangerous it is to load one shell by hand, and how a shorts/caps/ratshot should NEVER be shot out of a long rifle, basically acted like I was crazy. Needless to say, I didn't buy the rifle… LOL

But I gotta ask - what is the big deal with shooting shorts in a rifle? Yea, they won't fit in the clip, but I doubt I'll use the clip for plinking and possums… For rimfire hunting, I've got a .22 mag (Marlin 57). (I don't want to use the .22mag for possum work, because I am in the city, in a neighborhood, and the 22mag is a bit loud at 11pm)

Anyone?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've shot shorts all my life in autoloaders and bolt actions. Remington 552 Speedmaster autoloader, and all kind of bolt actions. No problem whatsoever. On the 552 I've loaded shorts followed with longs, long rifles, etc. Again, no issue. Kicks them out, reloads next shell,etc. Killed everything from squirrels to bobcats with them. IMO the guy didn't know what he was talking about. I agree some .22's state only use long rifle cartridges. The Speedmaster says you can load any of them. Just my opinion.

·
US Army Aviation NSDQ!
3,711 Posts
I've shot everything out of bolt action rifles, and semi-autos. Only thing I have heard not to do is shoot snake shot through a rifle as it can mess up the rifling. I dont know if this is true, but it sounds legit so I dont do it.

·
Wherever you are....BLOOM!
5,760 Posts
I've put a lot of "ratshot" through my 22's....hasn't affected them one bit. You might think about a single shot...teaches the need for accuracy and to make every shot count.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Rat shot has issues in a rifled barrel. it just fans the shot out into a circle..
I have a few .22 (even a pair of 552), most of the are marker 22 short, long or long rifle..

An RWS model 48/52 air rifle will make short work of a possom.

Personally I just trap them and take them where they won't bother anyone.

·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rat shot has issues in a rifled barrel. it just fans the shot out into a circle..
I have a few .22 (even a pair of 552), most of the are marker 22 short, long or long rifle..

An RWS model 48/52 air rifle will make short work of a possom.

Personally I just trap them and take them where they won't bother anyone.
Origonally I wanted something like that. My last possem "problem", they were walking the fence and driving my dogs nuts... At 2am. I thought a miss there would hit the neighbors roof, and a pellet would not hole thier roof, where a .22 might. So I started shopping around for a good high power pellet rifle. Then my wife decided to "Save" me $400, and she got me a $20, chinese pellet rifle...:confused: No amount of arguing would make her realize that gun was worthless, untill my most recent possem in the garage... 4 pellets to the head and it was just getting mad... the 5th, from less than an inch away finally put it down and convinced my wife I need something better. She is still not convenced I need "one of those high doller toy guns", but she is letting me get a .22. :)

As for trapping it, she dosen't want a big stinky rat in her SUV, even if it is in a box. And I ain't walking with it far enough to keep it from comming ack.:headknock

But the up-side to all this is I get to buy another gun... That will make 3 for me (other 2 - Mossburg 500 12ga, Marlin 57 - lever action .22mag) plus two useless pellet guns... Guess I ought to start looking for a gun safe, but that is another thread for another day...

jerry

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Another option if you get a 22 bolt are the aguila colibri and super colibri ammo. Long rifle case but just a primer charge. Super colibri are very quiet but should dispatch a possom up close. More mower than a cb cap less than a short or the .22 RWS.

I like the RWS because I can shoot them in the garage..

·
Registered
395 Posts
There is nothing dangerous about loading single rounds into the chamber.

The bit about not shooting shorts out of a LR chamber is actually founded in truth, though not really an issue.

If thousands of shorts were fired out of a LR chamber they would erode the chamber at the mouth of the shorter cartridge making it harder to chamber and extract a LR cartridge.

In reality, nobody shoots thousands of shorts, so it is not a practical concern. And cleaning the chamber out every once in a while will help keep it pristine.

ETA: CCI makes a 22 called a CB Long that is about the same power as a short but with a longer case.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Its fine, I do it all the time. Dont shoot LONGS out of a SHORT chambered firearm, maybe. I NEVER take advice from anyone behind a gun counter, ANYWHERE. I've learned over the years that its much better to do your own research online and whatnot before you buy

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I am amazed at "salesmen" knowledge or lack there of when it comes to weapons.

Just use good sense, a bolt or lever action .22 cal. like Marlin is a fine weapon to start out with. Also, show him how to handle it for cleaning, making sure there is no ammo in the weapon before it is handled for cleaning...enjoy!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Then my wife decided to "Save" me $400, and she got me a $20, chinese pellet rifle...:confused: She is still not convenced I need "one of those high doller toy guns", but she is letting me get a .22. :)

As for trapping it, she dosen't want a big stinky rat in her SUV, even if it is in a box. And I ain't walking with it far enough to keep it from comming ack.:headknock

jerry
Jerry, my man, hate to be the one to break it to ya, but Possums, and what you shoot them with ain't the problem.

What you need to do is to catch that possum in a trap, then keep him in a little pen til he's nice and fat, then hand Missy a axe and tell her to have your possum dinner, with candied yams no less, ready for you when you get home from work. OR ELSE.

Secondly, tell her that from now on you wish to be addressed as Johnny Quest, then go buy one of them $2500 air rifles with a Zeiss Scope and night optics with the camera attachment.

You've went a little light on this deal up til now, but there's still time to turn the situation around without having to resort to any mean spiritedness. Of course, she'll have to be contrite and cooperate in every way. You'll thank me later.

Good Luck!
Oh, Texasbagman's comments on the shorts through a LR sure seem logical, and I expect he's right. Ditto the "donut patterns" on the ratshot. I've seen it but it never dawned on me that it was the rifling doing it. Just in case you elect to go the .22 route anyway, in which case you'll have to forfiet your card.

Now Jerry rigged ain't a burn handle for crappieman, now is it? Some of that sounds kinda like TxGoddess could be involved somehow.

·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL Levelwind.... I could go all JonnyQuest on her, and she would not fuss, but she wouldn't stay either... :lol:

Jerry-rigged is from with I was a kid, and I would take apart my toys and put them back together and make something diffrent... Actually, when I was a kit, there was a diffrent name for it, but that is not PC now... :)

·
NRA Life/Endowment member, 49yrs.
1,890 Posts
Howdy gang-

"I am in the city, in a neighborhood, and the 22mag is a bit loud at 11pm"

Anyone?
Hey Jerry,

We gotta quit meeting like this.

Anyway, I think you might want to check around...most cities have ordinances against discharging firearms within city limits. And, it can be dangerous.
There are plenty of pellet rifles (not a firearm) out there that would get the job done. Saw a vidio a while back of a guy taking 2 hogs with head shots. Most of the ones that shoot 1000fps should work. PM johney Quest. I know they say 1200fps on the box but if you shoot the lightweight pellets that requires it will wreck the spring in a hurry.
My hunting partner bought a Crossman 1000fps break bbl. rifle to use on crows at the camp. About $125 at Wal-Mart. One shot and he took it back...It was as loud as my .22. I think we'll try a Gamo "Wisper" next.

If you really want a .22 and want to use it for the kids too, go to Wall-Mart or Academy and find an inexpensive single shot break action youth rifle. that will cover both needs.
As mentioned above there are a number of .22 shorts and CB caps made in long or long rifle size. If you do shoot real shorts or CB's just make sure you clean the chamber/bore every 10,000 rounds or so. :):bluefish:
See you over on Bateau2...LOL

Frank

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
If you go with the 22 rimfire, look into the subsonic loads.
Case about the size of a short with a 60 grain bullet.
Takes some getting used to as it's about a foot low at 50 yards.
Real quiet though.

·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Jerry,

We gotta quit meeting like this.

Anyway, I think you might want to check around...most cities have ordinances against discharging firearms within city limits. And, it can be dangerous.
There are plenty of pellet rifles (not a firearm) out there that would get the job done. Saw a vidio a while back of a guy taking 2 hogs with head shots. Most of the ones that shoot 1000fps should work. PM johney Quest. I know they say 1200fps on the box but if you shoot the lightweight pellets that requires it will wreck the spring in a hurry.
My hunting partner bought a Crossman 1000fps break bbl. rifle to use on crows at the camp. About $125 at Wal-Mart. One shot and he took it back...It was as loud as my .22. I think we'll try a Gamo "Wisper" next.

If you really want a .22 and want to use it for the kids too, go to Wall-Mart or Academy and find an inexpensive single shot break action youth rifle. that will cover both needs.
As mentioned above there are a number of .22 shorts and CB caps made in long or long rifle size. If you do shoot real shorts or CB's just make sure you clean the chamber/bore every 10,000 rounds or so. :):bluefish:
See you over on Bateau2...LOL

Frank
Yea Frank, I have heard most of that. a .22 short subsonic is pretty quite - shot inside a garage, I doubt a neighbor inside their house would hear it. And the "Acorn" caps are even quieter - not much louder than a Daisy model 66. :)

As for the high power pellet gun, I may still end up with one of those, I just need to make sure it is a sub-sonic gun. My brother was telling me about a pellet gun his F-I-L has, sub-sonic with a silencer, and will put a pellet clean thru a 1x4 (supposedly)

Jerry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts