2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new serious offshore fishing and keep reading and hearing about 2 speed reels. What is the advantage of the 2 speed reel (for non-trolling)?

Are the factor that dictate high speed vs low speed different for pelagics (tuna) vrs big bottom fish (like AJ)?

So much to learn, Thanks!

BC

By the way, do BFT hit topwaters? I just got back from port A around the shrimp boats where we chummed for blackfins and it seems like it would be fun to throw a topwater or something other than bait.

·
fish control my brain
7,733 Posts
A nice feature or 2-speeds is when you need to bring it in faster, go to high and reel.

This is good when you drop 300' and want to jig up.....you can never reel to fast for TUNA btw.

And when you get hooked up, you can go to the lower gear and crank them in, with more torqe.

Also I catch BFT all time on top-waters but generally at night under the lights.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I use the high speed to drop and reel in as Muddskipper has stated, then when you get a big YFT, Or AJ you put the reel in low and can put alot more pressure on the fish. would not even considder dropping to Big AJ's without the two speed reels. I like the accurates and avets personally.

MrSailfish

1 - 3 of 3 Posts